PDA

View Full Version : Injection Pump question

Clark's diesel
08-28-2005, 13:46
I have a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. The thing went dead at 141900 miles. I had washed the engine compartment, as I usually do a couple of times a year. About two weeks after it shut down fine, but would not restart the next morning. I didn't have a SES light but the water in fuel light did flicker off and on after the engine was cleaned. I have read the latest threads on PMD/FSD problems and solutions. Are DS-4 pumps on all 94 Chevys? I couldnt find any numbers on the pump except for this # on the infamous black box 34264. I think I might buy a cooler kit w/FSD, or the new Remarq version. Even if the pump is bad, sounds like I may want to have an extra FSD laying around. I wish there was a way to check my FSD without buying a replacement. Forgot to mention that I have a light duty emissions engine. Code s I do believe.

Hubert
08-28-2005, 21:48
Do the usual checks cranking speed? fuel filter (fuel to pump) then loosen an injector line and see if fuel out of IP while cranking.

My first thought check all wiring real good. As vehicles age they don't tolerate washing down as well. Connectors aren't as tight and/or any moisture protection lessens over time. Electrical connections will corrode nasty after a few weeks of getting wet. Moist connections with electric current will cause electrolysis corrosion. Its actually amazing how nasty they can get quickly. A few weeks ago sounds right for some bad corrosion problems to show up.

If in the first paragraph above you did get fuel to the injector then PMD and electricals are probably OK .... and maybe

Washing engine down how? Was the IP hot or really warm and you sprayed water over everything to clean it? And if so did you crank it up shortly after? If so you may have damaged the IP some or shortened its life.

Tolerances in the IP are real close and if everything is warm then you cool the outside washing it down it can squeeze down on internals and if operated like that it can expedited wear.

But if everything was cool and you just sprayed it down some and let it dry I doubt you hurt the IP.

ps
Nope, still no real way to test the PMD or FSD. Have to plug in a new one. Its one of the only things that won't set an SES light when bad.