PDA

View Full Version : refrigerant?

Himarker
05-23-2007, 01:32
Hello,

I am new to the forums and had a question about the refrigerant. I live in Alaska and had a rebuilt 6.5 Turbo put back in my 1993 Chevrolet 2500 ext cab. Well I got it back last fall and didn't need the air conditioning until this summer. Well its starting to get hot here (well at least hot to me) and I basically have no AC. I am betting it got drained and there is not refrigerant in the system. I saw the refrigerant kits at a local store but I cannot tell which type of refrigerant my truck needs. I called a local mechanic and he told me that my truck was right on the edge of when they changed to the R134 so he couldnt' tell me for sure but said to look at a label on my condenser. Well the label is worn to the point that it is unreadable so I am hoping that someone here can help me out. Just mainly need to know what type of refrigerant is used in a 1993 3/4 tone ext 6.5l turbo diesel.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2007, 02:32
Welcome to the Forums!

The 1993 should be R-12. You can tell by looking at the valve fittings (where you hook up the hoses). If they are threaded externally, like a flared AN fitting, it's R-12. If they are quick disconnect type, like air hose fittings with internal threads, it will be R-134a. That is if someone didn't convert it. If the charge/leak kits you get at the local parts store or Walmart fit, then it's R-134a. A consumer can't buy R-12 or the R-12 compatible kits locally (legally). Beware of shady kits that state they are compatible with both. They are usually propane, and illegal in most, if not all, states (Mexico is a good source for these).

daustin
05-23-2007, 06:18
I converted my '93 GMC to 134 a few years ago, replaced the dryer and O-tube & o-rings. Works pretty good here in Atlanta where it gets near 100 during the summer. I think i did it for under $100 total.
Don