PDA

View Full Version : '06 K3500 LBZ purchase for MRE

Mark Rinker
05-23-2007, 06:07
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160114569481&rd=1&rd=1

I agreed to purchase this truck yesterday. Anyone from GA area that wants to make a paid roadtrip to MN with a plane ride home over the long weekend, drop me an email to mark_rinker@hotmail.com. I would love to drive this one to San Diego next week to deliver a Chaparrel 280 SSi, but would need it here by Tuesday.

Shed
05-23-2007, 07:38
Nice looking truck Mark! I like the custom bed! Should be a nice addition to the business! How did you get into your business? I'm a fireman and have 2 days off, would love to do something like you do, of course much more limited. Shed

Mark Rinker
05-23-2007, 08:12
I started hauling hotshot loads around Minnesota and Wisconsin for a friend of mine that has a trucking company. Truckbed loads, then trailerloads. Then bigger trucks, then bigger trailers, then boats...etc. 5#s up to 15K#s and everything inbetween. Steel, wood, preformed concrete, injection molds, cars, skidsteers, boats, you name it we've pulled it around behind a Chevy diesel.

Its not a get rich business. There is alot of DOT regulation, insurance and overhead to do it legally - and you always compete with those that don't. I do enjoy it. So far I have owned and put nearly 300K miles on three Duramax trucks - an '01, '02, and '05. Now comes the '06.

GMC Tech
05-23-2007, 17:28
Hey Mark, Make sure you get the glow plug recall done on that new truck ASAP. Repair history looks good. I ran a viss on it from the vin on the e-bay ad.
Enjoy

EdHale
05-23-2007, 18:03
I would love to help Mark. I live 30 miles south of Atlanta. Unfortunately I'm on vacation heading to a boating trip on the Tennessee River for a week. Congrats on the new wheels. Ed

Mark Rinker
05-23-2007, 19:41
Ed - drop me an email if you'd still be interested sometime in early June. How far from your home to Trenton, GA?

I am lookng for a small boat (<24') on a trailer that needs to come to the Twin Cities - enough to defray fuel, lodging, wages and a plane ticket home. Something late model and would make sure the owner/buyer had wheel bearings, lights, etc. serviced before you picked it up.

Something should turn up soon.

Petrella
05-24-2007, 21:21
Hey Mark that is a sweet work truck you just got a hold of. I noticed in your vehicle descriptions you got the 06 K3500 as an LBZ, looking at the VIN on Ebay it has the LLY. Just puttin in my $.02 just in case you werent aware.

Mark Rinker
05-25-2007, 05:47
Wow am I embarrassed! You are right...I even posted this and had MP decode the VIN for me...

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27540&highlight=LBZ+LLY+2006

I must have looked at 30 trucks online, bidding on a dozen or so. After awhile, they blur together and I got it in my head that this one was an LBZ. Oh well, it is outfitted and at the right price for what we use them for. Looking forward to trying out the paddle shift controls on the steering wheel.

Since its an '06 it should have the updated airbox. Hope this one doesn't suffer from overheating problems while towing. I'll be watching it closely for any signs. My '05 LLY was fine, but didn't get the mileage of my two LB7s.

Maybe a 4" exhaust and ECM upgrade from Kennedy will be in order...may swap over propane system from the '01.. :)

JohnC
05-25-2007, 10:46
Mark:

Don't give it a second thought. The only difference between the 2006 LLY and LBZ is programming. I'm thrilled with my '06 LLY. Some day I'll get it programmed with a little more power, but, for now, it's so far ahead of my juiced up '95 that enhancements are on a real low simmer on a way back burner...

Mark Rinker
05-25-2007, 13:58
Agreed. More than anything, I am embarrassed for crowing about my new LBZ when it was an LLY.

Not a second thought. I am looking forward to storing straps, chains and such IN the truck, but not IN the cab. Can't tell you how many times I have had to dig snow out of the bed of my truck to find frozen chains and straps...

We really liked the 2003 K3500 flatbed gasser - everything except the 6.0L engine. This should be a fun truck to haul with.