PDA

View Full Version : What spares to carry

JFerg65
05-23-2007, 18:21
Well here goes the first post as a new diesel owner and member of the site. Have a 96 2500 suburban with 136000 on it. This is a very clean truck pretty much stock except for the relocated pmd. I do know it is on it's third pump and second fuel shut off solenoid.

Here is the question; What spares do you all carrying with you, besides an extra fuel filter?

Thanks

Robyn
05-23-2007, 18:48
You really need to remote mount your PMD.

Now with that said, a spare stuffed in the glove box would be wise and a spare serp belt tucked under the seat along with a suitable wrench to operate the tensioner.

Other than these its anyones guess as to what will go away when you least need it to.

Hope this helps

Robyn

Mark Rinker
05-23-2007, 20:14
Spare PMD in glovebox - main on a heatsink, spare fuel filter behind the seat, ashtray full of various fuses and a few spare marker and turn signal bulbs, duct tape and a Bible you can read while waiting for the tow truck. Thats my list for my last remaining 6.5L in 'the fleet'. :)

Robyn
05-24-2007, 08:17
Not bad Mark :D

Makes for good comfort while you try to avoid thinking about the upcoming tow bill that will probably be in the neighborhood of the national debt. :eek:

Then of course there is the shop up the road somewhere in your life thats wringing their hands with glee as they see the tow truck pull up with your rig hanging on the back. :(

All good advice.

Its too bad that a few tools and some parts wont always get these newer rigs going when they quit along the highways and biways.

Beings yours is a 96 a simple code reader will not allow you to access the computer for any codes.
The 96 is an OBDII system and requires a scan tool.

Having the above mentioned goodies is still very good practice along with
a small tool box with some basic metric tools such as a 3/8 drive socket set and some end wrenches up through 19 mm and maybe a pliers some screw drivers and a small hammer.
A small roll of #14 wire and a tiny terminal kit (Kind that comes with the kewl little cripmp tool) Can solve some minor wiring issues such as when you tear the 4x4 actuator waires off the front Diff.

A spare thermostat stuffed in the glove box is not a bad idea either.
A quart of tranny oil as well as a quart of engine oil can be handy.

The list can be to the point that you tow a tool trailer around. :D

For local running I dont carry a thing other than the spare tire and the provided tools that came with the rig.

When traveling thats a different story.

Just some thoughts

Robyn

JFerg65
05-24-2007, 18:03
Thanks for the suggestions and making me feel so comfortable with my new ride!!! May be I should have kept saving for another ten years and just bought a new one off the floor. Then again how much fun would that be always knowing that you more or less had at least a 99% chance of getting to where you were going, on time and in one piece?

Robyn
05-24-2007, 21:46
Not to worry

Back in the summer of 97 I bought a new Stroke and it made it 7 miles from the dealers showroom when the engine went all over the street. :eek:

I like good used ones myself. :D

Never did have any luck with that stroke. Sold it and bought a 1986 GMC dually 3+3 cab dually 4x4.. great old truck. Just runs like a champ

Enjoy your new ride

Robyn

garre1tt
05-25-2007, 00:03
Okay folks don't scare the new folks. You have bought the best vehical for the best value for the dollar.
136K is just breaking in the motor, I bought my burb with 230K with no hesitation.

That said, It is not a new vehical and you can expect normal repairs for any vehical and normal repairs for the 6.5. Thanks to TDP I have been able to fix or get fixed all my problems. Now days I worry more about the vehical than the motor and trany.

Towing or road side assistance coverage it the best money ever spent. I have had to use it many times but never for the engine. It is an old piece of equipment.

If you plan to tow with it I recomend Heath diesel for ECM upgrages and turbo boost controlers. Kennidy for cooling upgrades and the SSdiesel for exhaust and possibly air intake.

Welcome to the groupe
Michael D.

Robyn
05-25-2007, 08:40
Here is my take on used rigs

I love the old Classic GM Blazers and Burbs (82-91)

I recently bought a 91 Burb with 197K on the clock and am just taking my time going through things.

Once I get the engine and tranny all fresh a quicky go though on some of the other smaller systems will make this truck as good as new, maybe better.

Today with new rigs costing 40-70 K depending on what you get, the older trucks can be a very good buy if you dont mind doing a little work on them.

If you expect to have a shop do the work for you it can get costly though and this will negate the overall savings you can get by buying the older truck in the first place.

My feeling has always been that the shop mechanic no matter how good he/she is will not do the same quality of work on things that the owner will simply because of the time constraints involved.

Also the shop mechanic is going to fix a particular problem that is written on the work order and generally not go snooping around for other issues that may be lurking in the corners waiting to spring forth and bite thee.

Unless an issue is so obvious that the mechanic just cant ignore it, it may go by the wayside.

Any time Im under the hood doing much more than checking the oil Im looking at stuff for things that may be in need of my loving touch.

That little wire tie that broke and is now allowing a sensor wire to come too close to sharp or hot places, the loose or missing bolt that will soon allow something to fall off or not function properly.

owning an older rig does not mean that you are under it every weekend fixing something, it simply means that you are going to need to set aside some time to do some preventive maintenance.

Heading into summer is always a good time to replace hoses and belt/belts and even drop in a new T stat. Look over the water pump for leaks that may be subtle but can manifest into trouble at inoportune times.

Lift the radiator cover/support and check out to make sure there is not a large accumulation of crap in front of the cooling fins between the AC condenser.

Flushing the cooling system and installing new coolant is not a bad idea either.

Make a list of these important things and then just pick them off.

The liitle fuel return lines on the injectors can , over time get hard and or fatigued and spring a leak. This is very unhandy out on the road.
A nice little kit is available to replace all these and can be done easily of an afternoon in the driveway.

Out on the road with diesel spraying around under the hood is not the place.
Same goes for the fuel feed and return lines that lay under the manifold.
These get hard over time and can rupture making a stinky mess not to mention a fire hazard.

Grease all the fittings and check/refill all the gear boxes. Drain clean and refill the tranny (new filter too)
Lube all the door hinges and the little goodies.

A little silicone spray on the window tracks make them work much better.

Look over all the suspension and replace any parts that are worn or bad. (leaking shocks)

A good time to inspect for loose wiring under the rig too and tape up and protect any chaffed spots and refasten to the chassis.

If you can get the truck on a rack for an hour you can do all this stuff easily. (Got a friend with access to a rack)

All these little issues are cheap and easy to fix while your at home and once done will not be a bother for a long time.
So many issues are the result of poorly done repairs that leave such things as hoses or wiring loose and in harms way.

Check the brakes over well to be sure that all bolts and parts are secure and in good order.( many times things get left loose by the little (Quicky Shops") because of shift changes or sloppy workers.

Owning an older rig is a good choice financially especially since the cost can be way less than a new one.

Even if you have to spend a few weekends wrenching and buy a few new parts you are miles ahead of the guy who is paying down on a 50K note every month.

My 91 Burb with new tires on it cost me just $3500.
A far cry from $50K

Enjoy your new to you used truck.
Love it and it will treat you well.

Robyn

JFerg65
05-27-2007, 20:44
Thanks so much for taking the time for the responses!! I just got back from my 2nd 200 mile jaunt in the last two weeks since getting the new rig and wouldn't you know.... the service engine soon light comes on!!! I'll get the codes and chase down the problem. It still is running and sounding well so I'm hoping for some emission control issue that will be easily resolved.

I've got several other questions to post , but will do so only after trying to find the answer throughteh search..... YES, I DID READ THE THREAD DEDICATED TO TEH NEWBIES!!

Thanks Again

garre1tt
05-29-2007, 23:17
Robyn,
That was a nice reply to a real concern from a new 6.5 owner.
I agree with the reply that you gave.

I am concerned with the general negativity you have with the beloved 6.5 turbo diesel.
I searched your post to find out how you managed to get so many without me recognizing your name. I have be a regular for over three years now.

Is it true most all your posts came from the 6.2 forums.
I expect more from a chosen moderator. Stop the negative posts and be positive.

Michael. D

Mark Rinker
05-29-2007, 23:52
Truth be told, I've never needed a tow with any of my 6.5s.

They gave alot of miles towing and many hours plowing in harsh conditions. They did require their fair share of maintenace, but considering the years of service, it wasn't all that bad.

I learned alot about diesels from these trucks and considering initial cost - they gave a reasonable return on my invested dollars. Now with the Duramaxes, I make big payments instead, and hide under the umbrella of drivetrain warranty in the case of big repairs.

It all works out about the same, I suspect.