PDA

View Full Version : Foam Galore

Eduardo
05-24-2007, 15:00
Hi all,

Whenever I fill-up with diesel my 1 Ton Chevy Cheyenne, there is a moment in which I have to stop due to the amount of foam coming through the filling line. This always happens when I am 20 to 25 liters from filling the tank to capacity. I can keep filling-up very slowly (therwise the foam builds-up and overflows) but it would take about 8-10 minutes to finish topping-up, which is a real embarrassment especially when other vehicles are lining-up at the pump.

Is this common with this type of truck, or...? I know that foaming is common when filling-up with diesel, but 20-25 liters seems excessive to me. I did not have the same problem when I had the 1987 6.2 Silverado with dual fuel tanks.

94 at Large
05-25-2007, 10:42
Last 3-4 gallons takes like forever because of the foam. Nature of the beast.

gmctd
05-25-2007, 11:07
Diesel fuel foams when transferred to open containers - the faster the transfer, the greater the foam - much moreso when fuel and ambient temps are warm.

It seems to help some if I pour the additives in B4 pumping the fuel - really helps if ambient temps are below 60deg, tho.

tommac95
05-25-2007, 19:26
Larger diameter hoses at truck stops also sometimes help-- slower flow at larger diam.

I find that forgetting something at the stop helps. One simply pumps until it slows down / foams , then hit the road until come upon the next filling station , where can 'top off',,, and go buy the soda you forgot.