PDA

View Full Version : 94 C3500 Crew Cab Dually Shock Mount

Splitrimz
04-01-2005, 17:12
Hi,
I am in a real pickle. My left rear upper shock mount broke off last evening. Called the dealer today, it is not a replaceable part, can't even order it. The mount is rivited into the frame rail, I can't see any welds.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

Some guys at work today said I could take it to a metal fab shop and they might be able to make and weld some type of bracket to reattach the shock.

I'm can't imagine that the mount, which is a stress point cannot be replaced. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

94 C3500, 6.5TD Crew Cab Dually, VIN 1GCHC33F8RJ325076
Good Shock
http://www.wheelswings-things.com/goodshock.jpg
Bad Shock
http://www.wheelswings-things.com/badshock.jpg

[ 04-03-2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Splitrimz ]

Billman
04-01-2005, 17:17
How about a junkyard?

Even if fabrication was needed to make a new one, I can't imagine it being that hard.

Good luck...

Kidd
04-01-2005, 18:54
Any good welding or machine shop should be able to make you a new mount. I have done it, pretty simple job. Just have them remove the rivets and bolt on the replacement. Most likely the bolts holding the shock were a tad loose, and the hammering over time broke the mount.
K.D.

markrinker
04-02-2005, 04:17
If you have aftermarket shocks, you might want to replace them as well. Chances are they are too long, and the mount broke because they are bottoming out.

Splitrimz
04-02-2005, 07:15
Thanks for the responses. I'll start checking metal fabrication and machine shops. I wasn't aware that all shocks were not equal, so to speak. Should I be looking to my Chevy Dealer for shocks? Any aftermarket recommendations?

Thanks, Splitrimz

markrinker
04-02-2005, 07:56
Not only aren't they created equal - I have found that fitment catalogs can be plain WRONG, and have broken mounts before due to shocks that were intended to fit multiple years/vehicles and were too long.

If the mount broke, your shock may be bent or damaged internally.

Rancho makes a good adjustable shock. Monroe makes alot of good shocks - I think they make most of Sears shocks as well.

Splitrimz
04-03-2005, 08:36
Bump..One more round for suggestions with photos added.

Splitrimz

patrick m.
04-03-2005, 18:48
I would remove the bed and weld piece back on.
and replace the rear shocks, (add a lite coat of paint), it should be there forever.

Ryan Colley
04-04-2005, 04:02
Just had the same thing happen on my truck, couldn't find the part anywhere. My solution was to grind off all the remaining stock bracket and replace with a piece of 1/4" thick right-angle steel (4" wide IIRC). On my truck there was existing holes in the frame and it bolted right up. Just cut a hole in the top of your "new" bracket for the top of the shock to poke through, drill a couple of holes for the mounting bolts and its a done deal. And its BETTER than the way GM engineered it :D

markrinker
04-04-2005, 04:20
I would appear that you could scavange all or part of the mount from a wrecked frame - and replace yours in part, or entirely.

Might be more trouble than its worth, but it would maintain stock dimensions/appearance.

It sure looks like your shocks must have been too long and bottoming out.