PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal with these injectors??

doncentex
05-26-2007, 04:30
total newbie here again and I'm not trolling for a fight but..........

What's the deal with these injectors? I heard horror stories about 92~95 needing to be replaced but it seems to go on now too. This must be the reason that Ford runs magazine adds 2 pages wide with a truck pix on the right side and a pix of an injector on the left that looks like its from a nuclear reactor. I guess Ford is capitalizing on the woes.

or are injectors like spark plugs used to be. Just have to be replaced every 25K miles.

Looks like they could get these things right but I guess the issues are reliability and trying to keep up with EPA standards. Must be difficult to fight both battles. Why don't F250s have this problem. Personally, I said I'd never have another Ford after owning a Taurus SHO but maybe trucks are different. I really wanna stick with Chevy. Convince me please.

Normally, I buy used vehicles 20-50K miles and keep them almost forever. If wheels fall off I put them back on and keep going. I went 180K in my 82 Suburban until I traded it on a 99 suburban in 02.

Ok guys, let me have it I know I asked for it.

Besides the KEWL factor:cool: I do have a reason for wanting a diesel, I've to a 26' TT and boat and I'd like to go big 5th wheel soon.

99 Suburban and diesel wannabee maybe.
Don

Shed
05-26-2007, 08:59
Don,
Pretty new here too, advice: stick around you will learn alot real quick listening to these people.
I, like you, have a camper and pulled for years with a gasser. I upgraded to the diesel after borrowing my uncles ford powerstroke. The diesel is made to pull and LOVES to pull. Also when was the last time you heard of a gas engine still working hard and pulling after 300k miles? The diesel can be modified and a large variety of ways to improve the engines fuel economy and make it more powerful! The options the diesel presents are awesome! Yes there is more maintenance, fuel filters, oil changes, etc. and you have to watch your diesel (temps) a little, but if you are like me and like to "keep an eye" on your rig then the diesel really is'nt a problem. I'm not sure of this, but I think the major problems cost a little more to fix than a gasser, but the diesel when properly maintained will have a greater life expectancy and be more productive longer.
The famous injector question. The more knowledgeable guys can get in depth, but my take is as follows. NO they are not like spark plugs. Spark plugs may cost a couple hundred bucks, fresh injectors are in the 3-5k range. As for how they work that's to the "think tank". There is a warranty on injectors for the 2001-2003 I believe (7 yr. 200k). I think the years after that have been "modified" and made better.
As for Chevy/GMC vs. Dodge/Ford... I brought a ford f-150 home when I was 19, my grandfather did'nt talk to me for two weeks. The first words he spoke to me were "when you gettin rid of that P.O.S.?" The Duramaxes are the best diesel on the road! The best in MY opinion. So other than my family history and MY opinion......
Best of luck with your future purchases, and stick around and learn!
Shed

doncentex
05-26-2007, 10:21
Fords for you are like Dodges for me. I figured that if I had to buy a Dodge I'd first have to start smoking a pipe and wearing a bow tie.:o

However, I hear that the tuff guys love them. I have heard that with Dodges the drive train holds up but all the other stuff falls appart and they are a rough ride, maybe there's a correlation. I'll have to go check them out. There is a certain appeal about a diesel engine from a company that started off doing diesels and didn't pick it up later like the strokers and duros.

Is there a F250 diesel BB? I havent' been able to find it. I found the dodge one.

I'm thinking if I go diesel this will be last truck I ever buy so I'm gonna go slow on the shopping process to be sure I get what I want. I'll probably drive the wife crazy. :p

Except for the &*^%$ fuel pump and power door locks the 99 gasser burban has been fine up to 103K miles. So for now I'm chevy material but these injectors have got me spooked.

Don

Duramaster
05-26-2007, 15:35
:) I believe that the new "ford" uses waht they call "PIEZO" injectors. Big woop!!! They are finally catching up with GM! The DMAX injectors have always been small. I also believe that they finally got their pilot injection working properly so that you can actually here yourself think while driving the truck!! Long story short............ They (ford, dodge, GM) all use injectors and I believe that they are all using COMMON RAIL fuel systems now (extreme high pressures). I have also been told that the ford is putting the injectors under the valve covers along with the return lines like the old LB7. Here we go again, ford is still behind in the technology department! We (GM DMAX) don't do that anymore because of the potential fuel leaks into the crankcase. I read a post on this site the other day that was very well put....................... the ford and dodge (this year) both have new engines along with the DPF systems (big risk as far as I'm concerned) while the GM trucks still use the proven DMAX andonly had to add the DPF to the truck to make it emission compliant. Just my two cents worth. Do the research for yourself. Enjoy! :)

Dakster
05-26-2007, 19:33
I think Duramaster was talking about a rather lengthy post I made in another forum. I'll condense it here...

The old Ford vs GM VS Dodge argument. I suggest you go to everyone's forums and read. You'll find annoyances and expensive to fix issues with all three brands. I still find the least amount of problems on the GM sites...

I've driven smooth Dodge Dually's and rough riding ones too.. If you thought that Ford Diesel was loud, get next to a cummins... My neighbor owns a landsacping company and keeps an immaculate dodge dually and has had no problems with it. He keeps it stock too... Tows trailers and boats all the time.

I can give tales of greatness and despair with each brand. I've owned all three brands. I don't trust the new Fords (I owned a 2004 Diesel Excursion and a 2005 F250 - Both had major issues off the showroom floor) The reason I don't trust the new fords is that they are using a new motor with new technology, they've already had a major recall with another one on the way (for injectors, btw).:eek: There are alot of complaints of poor mileage (sub 10 mpg - unloaded and 5-6 loaded). I PERSONALLY know someone with an '08F450 that is getting that mileage so I believe it.

The dodges are just hitting the streets now, so the jury is still out on them. I haven't had a chance to play around with the new ones there. The Chevy's have been out a little longer, but are still too new to market. - although since the motor is basically the old one with a DPF, Larger EGR Cooler and Lines - I figured at least I know what I'm getting into and my local tech could work on it tomorrow if needed. The Fords you have remove the cab to do any motor work above changing a filter or adding oil. Look under the hood. I'm not bashing Ford, I used to own nothing but Fords.

Bottom line, you are the one driving it and paying for it. You have to be happy with it, whatever the brand is. Internet research can help you with problem years (all brands have them). You seem to have good luck with vehicles since you keep them for 15-20 years with minor issues. I'd stick with what you did before - it worked!:)

I only have 300 miles on the new truck - told you guys I don't drive much. I am still outfitting it for my needs and in less than a month I plan a 600 mile round trip with it. I am happy as can be. I'm getting 14-16 mpg in mixed driving. Better than the 9.5-10.5 I was getting in my 6.0 gas Suburban. Ohh, my tailpipe is as clean as a new piece of steel. I still can't believe how clean this truck is running. I guess I have to remove the "If it aint smokin', it's broken" bumper sticker.:D

Duramaster
05-26-2007, 22:11
Thanks Dakster.:)

doncentex
05-27-2007, 20:43
tks for the comments guys,
Yes I know, if there were really bad brands they would disappear pretty quickly although there have been some abysmal failures, like Johnson Evinrude FICT and the GM car diesels back in the 80's.

I've had good luck buying 2 year old vehicles with less than 50k miles so I'll probably do that here too. (except with that SHO Taurus) I think warranties transfer these days. Maybe I can find a well maintained lease return.

Nevertheless, is there a model year or 2 to stay away from? Seems like the real SERIOUS injector issues were 92-96 and that was a while ago.

I'm not planning on any trick ups. I figure stock is good enough for me and I think I can live without the turbo.

I'll keep surfing.;)

Don

gophergunner
05-27-2007, 21:14
you wanna judge the other brands of trucks out there then i think ya gotta drive them. i have driven each ford, dodge, and my gmc all of which are 2006 models, crew cabs, 4x4's and hands down the gmc has more power, the transmissions in the ford and dodge can't even compare, and it is a much nicer ride. Ever have to slam on the brakes driving that dodge it wants to pull you from side to side. Ford was gutless beyond belief, both ford and dodge were very noisy........and i can't believe how crappy the shifting is for the ford automatic. Just trying to put the shifter into a gear can be a challenge because it doesn't find the right place on the column. An old TH350 or 400 had better feel to the shifting that this 2006 ford.

I know lots of welders at work like ford and dodge because of the solid front axle. I haven't heard of anyone i know with a gm or chev with ifs who had it pile up on them.

One job site the company was at, they went through 3 dodge pickups because the transmissions all took a crap at around 40 to 50 000 kms

i'm obviously a gmc/chevy fan here but i have tried the other diesel competitors and i was severely disappointed......just my ranting here, take it as you will

Dakster
05-28-2007, 06:40
Gophergunner,

I don't think that there is such a thing as a non-turbo diesel truck that was made in the past couple of years... So you don't have to worry about that. In SOME of the heavier duty (F450, Kodiak 4500, and some Dodges in all lines) have "detuned" or non-HO turbo-diesel motors. Also, vans are typically detuned. Although, in my new chevy/gmc literature it says that the vans are no longer detuned!

IMHO, The only truck I can tell you to stay away from is the 6.0 Ford's from personal experience. If you like Ford, I'd try to find a low mileage 7.3 circa 2003. For two reasons, one is that the motor was pulled early and redesigned because of too many failures. (See the lawsuit Ford v. Navistar and counter-suit) Navistar already decided once to stop producing the new 6.4 motor and has only started again because of a court order.... Wonder about that Quality Control. You may get lucky and get a good one, but 10 years down the line will you be able to find replacement parts? Once Ford kicks Navistar to the curb and the 7 year "Manuf. must keep replacement parts" federal law expires...