PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L Enthusiast?

More Power
05-26-2007, 12:15
What exactly is a 6.5L enthusiast? We've asked this question a few times in years past, and quickly discovered that without a definition, most owners (here at least) consider themselves to be an "enthusiast".

So, we'll ask that same question again, but this time, I'm suggesting an enthusiast is someone who has spent at least $1000 on his/her 6.5L vehicle that he/she didn't need to spend to keep it on the road. For example, a set of custom wheels, custom paint, performance upgrades, custom interior, etc are all enthusiast items. On the other hand, a replacement radiator, engine rebuild, trans rebuild, new tires, routine service, etc are not enthusiast expenses.

Let us know what where your ownership fits. This'll help us to focus our attention where it'll do the most good for the most people.

Thanks,

Jim

Hubert
05-26-2007, 20:12
Well I contend that it has to be diesel specific performance, repair, or knowledge go not show. ie exhaust upgrade (because you learn why and how) and stock was working ok for usage. Looks or general truck stuff doesn't count in my mind. That could be any truck.

Have to have learned or read hours on the 6.5 (some other general diesel knowledge learning counts but a bit less). Educating others and sharing knowledge and experiences makes you an enthusiast. Doing it all on your own and keeping it to oneself makes you a hobbiest? if thats a word. Being able to take the looks of Cummins, Powerstrokes, or Duramax's owners etc and stand tall at the pump yeah its a 6.5 and its still running fine. Those guys don't count if all they know is what the salesman told them and they just turn the key and go. A pet pieve of mine is a die hard brand loyalist that doesn't know squat about the mechanics of his/her ride.

Not sure if you have to turn your own wrenches but ya gotta know whats what. I wouldn't count someone out that doesn't have a shop, tools, and extra vehicle to go get parts to do the work themselves. But if you don't learn what an injector or glowplug is or where they're at then nope you are not an enthusiast.

ratman
05-26-2007, 21:15
Jim, -as I'm sure you've been following along with my overhaul, -now you know why it says "6.5 diesel nutcase" under my user name.

I don't have a significant other, so it looks like I can't vote! :D

-Rich.

Robyn
05-26-2007, 21:54
Well now

Im not sure if I am an enthusiast or not.
I like the 6.2/6.5 family, maybe I just feel sorry for them, sort of like dragging home the bedragled cold little kitten you found huddled in a ditch half dead. :eek:
Ya nurse it back to health and love it cause its now yours. :D

I always trot my rigs off to the tire shop and have a set of alloy wheels and trick tires put on them.
Got to have good tunes too.

A winch is sort of nice on a 4X4

I guess I would have to say Im an enthusiast, I would buy a new 1993 if I could get one. :)

Every new truck I have owned has always got a few trick items within the first few weeks after a bought it.

Back in 76 My new Ford truck was home in the shop and within 3 hours the engine was out on the deck and a hot 427 cammer was back in its place.

Guess I qualify for nut case. :rolleyes:

Robyn

cshade
05-28-2007, 03:17
I've spent about 3k on mine, 1400 on mandatory, and 2600 on goodies! Had the truck 4 months. Another two grand and I've officially paid as much fixing/customizing the burb as I did to buy it!

Enthusiast, I think so.
My girlfriend just thinks I'm plain nuts

sturgeon-phish
05-29-2007, 08:00
I really like my truck. It economically pulls my camper, hauls my junk, and with the help of fellow DP posters is reliable.
When I bought my truck the 6.5's are in my price range and capable for my needs. It may not be as strong as the 7.3's or the 5.9's, but I am patient and I don't drive hard.
Jim

simon
05-29-2007, 23:25
I just like diesels, I have driven them since 1969, when the 6.2 was not even a twinkle in someones eye. I started with mercedes, then opel with a perkins and others. now look in signature.
I don't care for all the gimmicks they sell, altough now I am in the process to build one that I hope can compete with the ford and cummings.
[ bragging rights ]

what i aim for is to drive a relyable diesel at a affordable price. the last 12 years the 6.2 and 6.5 has been that for me.
It is the easyst engine to work on compared to the rest of the pack.

I don't care for gassers, does that make me a enthusiast ? On the diesel engine yes, on the vehicle itself ?? all of them happen to be GM or Chevy
You be the judge.

gophergunner
05-30-2007, 06:42
I thought i read an article on TDP here about comparing a 6.5td to a ford and dodge of equivalent year or so. The idea was to match the compression ratio and turbo boost and a few other things, and this all allowed that 6.5 to be just as good if not better than the 5.9 or 7.3............correct me if i'm mistaken i hate to make false comments like this

I would consider myself a diesel enthusiast, more specifically a General Motors diesel enthusiast but not so much a 6.5 enthusiast as i do not own one just yet........6.2 will have to do until then

DmaxMaverick
05-30-2007, 07:18
I thought i read an article on TDP here about comparing a 6.5td to a ford and dodge of equivalent year or so. The idea was to match the compression ratio and turbo boost and a few other things, and this all allowed that 6.5 to be just as good if not better than the 5.9 or 7.3............correct me if i'm mistaken i hate to make false comments like this

Until the Powerstroke was released in 1995, GM held the upper hand with the Diesels every year. The Dodge Cummins was still new, and way underpowered. At that time, reliability was not an issue with any of them except the 7.3 IDI turbo in 1995 (Ford offered 3 variations of Diesels in 1995). GM pioneered the American consumer Diesel market in 1978 with the 350 Diesel (no, it wasn't a converted gasser like the 6.9 and 7.3 were), and was the only 1/2 ton offering a Diesel engine. For a 6 year period, 1995-2000, GM lagged in the Diesel power and reliability areas. As of 2001 with the introduction of the Duramax, GM is once again in the lead in the power and reliability areas (as well as economy), with the others playing catch-up every year since, again.

So, you are correct. When we compare like years, GM wasn't in as bad shape as some believe. GM is still the only American manufacturer to offer a Diesel engine in a light truck that wasn't farmed out. The Duramax was/is a joint venture with GM and Isuzu. In case you didn't know, Isuzu is the world leader, by far in all areas, when it comes to Diesel engine production numbers and reliability. We know market flooding doesn't mean a good product. Isuzu has just been doing it longer than any current LT Diesel manufacturer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (like Ford does, continually....if it weren't for creative marketing, they wouldn't have a market share, IMO).

moondoggie
05-30-2007, 07:28
Good Day!

"...an enthusiast is someone who has spent at least $1000 on his/her 6.5L vehicle that he/she didn't need to spend to keep it on the road." Oops - shoulda read your post B4 voting. Based on this, change my vote to "no" - no budget for fun stuff. :(

On the other hand, if buying a 2nd one to make sure at least one is running counts, I guess I qualify as an enthusiast. :D

Blessings!

trbankii
05-30-2007, 08:13
Although I consider my self to be an "enthusiast" and qualify by the stated terms, I'm not sure that I'd [i]choose[/b] to qualify myself by the stated terms... And I agree and disagree to differing extents with the thoughts others have posted... If that makes any sense... :)

To me, the "enthusiast" part starts when the vehicle takes on some greater dimension than just being an object. If you bought the vehicle because the dealer was close to home, he had it on his lot, the color was ok, and it will get you to work - chances are that you're not an enthusiast. Likewise, if you drive it, put gas in it, occasionally wash it when the SO complains, and try to remember to take it to the dealer for service every once in awhile

gophergunner
05-30-2007, 08:30
so the 350 diesel that gm produced was not a converted gas engine??? and i never ever heard of the 7.3 being converted, everyone seems to think that was the best diesel engine ford used.

one would think that when GM had Detroit Diesel by its side they would make a rather swell diesel engine. I've heard from many people that older detroit engines were rather reliable.....:confused: ......so i guess thats why they made them the same for years and years. And i guess maybe thats why gm made the 6.2 and then the 6.5 for years.

Too bad Detroit Diesel started with GM and its in the hands of Chrysler now......Chrysler saw something good so they had to have it without creating it themselves???:o

DmaxMaverick
05-30-2007, 08:49
so the 350 diesel that gm produced was not a converted gas engine??? and i never ever heard of the 7.3 being converted, everyone seems to think that was the best diesel engine ford used.

one would think that when GM had Detroit Diesel by its side they would make a rather swell diesel engine. I've heard from many people that older detroit engines were rather reliable.....:confused: ......so i guess thats why they made them the same for years and years. And i guess maybe thats why gm made the 6.2 and then the 6.5 for years.

Too bad Detroit Diesel started with GM and its in the hands of Chrysler now......Chrysler saw something good so they had to have it without creating it themselves???:o

Never said the 7.3 IDI was a bad engine. The 6.9 had its issues, but was basically a good engine. The 6.9 and 7.3 were converted from Navistar's gassers of the same displacements. Some upgraded hard parts were substituted, but it wasn't designed from the ground up as a Diesel. Real problems surfaced in 1995 with the ATS turbo system, which, IMO, was just thrown in to appease the "market", but still fell short of the same year GM offering. The Powerstroke is altogether different and shared mostly just the displacement with the IDI. The 350 Diesel was an Olds and Detroit venture design intended initially for passenger car use (and did quite well there, all things considered), and many of them are still running today. Later 350's are fine engines, and were produced until ~1985. The 6.2L was designed by Detroit Diesel (then a GM company), and the 6.5L is an updated version of the 6.2L with few real changes. Yeah, too bad Detroit isn't still a GM company, let alone an American owned company. They do produce some of the best HD engines now, despite the ownership. The 60 Series is a fine piece of machinery, but was designed while it was still GM.

DmaxMaverick
05-30-2007, 08:55
All that said, I consider myself an enthusiast. I don't fall into the specified category most of the time. Perhaps that's the difference between an enthusiast and just a plain ol' GM Diesel nut. I do agree with Trbankii in regards to the meaning of the word. Wheels and bling are usually added regardless of what's under the hood, if that's the owner's fancy.

BTW---
I don't think Robyn is an enthusiast. She's just plain nuts:D
TDP wouldn't be the same w/o her, though!

restoguy
06-06-2007, 08:05
I'd qualify myself as an enthusiast. I now own two 6.5 rigs, a '94 K2500 Xcab and my 'new' '99 crew cab.(gotta get a signature line!) I could have spent the same money on a newer diesel, but I like the 6.5. Even with all its.....um....quirks. I defend it adamantly when un-educated powerstroke owners laugh about it. And I have spent(and will spend) proportianatly large sums of money on my 6.5 for items that are not entirely necessary.

Example: My brother just bought an '04 DMax with 190K miles for $10K. It's a nice Xcab K2500HD pickup with a few extra miles from a salesman, but he's not an enthusiast. I, on the other hand, expect to spend the same money in the end on my '99(which I bought with 280K miles because 'it's the one') but it won't be a duramax when I'm done!(and it will always be 5yrs older!) Performance wise, I will have just reached the point that my brother's Dmax is at, stock. Most people would consider that poor use of my money. But I'm aware of what I'm doing and I choose to do it. On top of that I can quote random, annoying 6.5 facts all day! That makes me an enthusiast.

Cowracer
06-07-2007, 09:43
Its simple.

A 6.5 enthusiast is someone who, depsite there being better, more powerful and more technologically advanced engines available, chooses to own and operate a 6.5 simply because they want to.

They can apprecieate the robustness (electronics notwithstanding), simplicity, ease and low cost of maintenance of this engine and feel a compulsion to address the few flaws that are present. And above all, they are someone who bristles at the phrase "converted gas motor"

on paper, the 6.5 pales in comparison to the Cummins, Dmax or PSD. If you understand that, and still choose to own a 6.5, you are an enthusiast.

Tim

moondoggie
06-07-2007, 11:02
Good Day!

On that basis, I'm in.

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

gmctd
06-07-2007, 11:49
I was fairly enthused when I built my truck - even moreso when the 6.5 lit off and promptly fogged me with black smoke - I love the smell of Diesel in the morning - and noontime - in the evening - walking out of the diner at the truckstop - across the parking lot at the mall...............

ercaduceus
06-07-2007, 22:11
I think I am becoming a 6.5 enthusiast. I bought a "cherry" 98 K1500 recently that was almost never used for not even a fraction of what a Cummins or Powerstroke would cost. Plus I have weight abvantage being only a half ton. It is easy to work on (so far). I have already made a list of products and prices for the truck and have pissed my wife off several times already concerning such. I have always been a truck enthusiast and have had many chevys (sorry all where mice and rats).

I recently had a debate with a coworker about the 6.5. I defended my truck like a knight defending the honor of a maiden (No not Iron Maiden Ha Ha). He states that ford makes better diesels than Chevy. He seen confused when I stated that they don't make diesel motors, Navistar does. He also seemed to think the 6.5 is related to the Olds 350 diesel. I attempted to correct that idea as well. Then he pulled up the tow rating from the iternet on factory trucks. Well of course the Cummins can out pull a half ton 6.5. If I wanted to tow the world I wouldn't have bought a half ton. Ironically my coworker drives a F150 2wd with a 4.2L gas V6. I told him to finish his glass of haterade and get back to work. :p

I think despite the issues the 6.5 may have, it is a great motor. For example, a good 6.5 can have the HP of a SBC the torque of a BBC and the economy of a V6. Whats not to love.:D

Blessings,

Dvldog8793
06-09-2007, 17:52
I am into my truck so upside-down that I will NEVER be able to sell it....so it's a good thing that I like it! I am in the process of replaceing both front hubs, I used the good USA made ones with a LIFETIME warrenty, funny that the truck has about 200,000 miles, hopefully I'll still have it for another 200,000!
yes I've replaced all kinds of "stuff" that didn't need replacing, just in the name of it looks/sounds/seems-to-be/should-be COOL.
L8r
Conley