PDA

View Full Version : Cat Controller on 6.5 Hummer?

damork
05-27-2007, 21:29
I saw this reference to the Humvee 6.5 being controlled by the Caterpillar ADEM III controller:

http://www.optimizer6500.com/default.asp?section=electronic_controls

Does anyone know how this integrates with the Stanadyne fuel pump - are they using a DS4 pump to communicate with the Cat ECM (ADAM III)? I assume the Cat ECM takes the place of the ECM we have behind the glove compartment in our 94+ GM units.

Mark Rinker
05-28-2007, 06:43
Cool information. Looks like they have taken the venerable 6.5L to a new level of quality!

I still would like to see our armed forces equipped with DMax power...maybe someday... :)

Robyn
05-28-2007, 07:45
Now for the $64 question :confused:

Are they still using the stanadyne IP on the beast???

They have made a pretty good leap forward with the basic engine iron.
Now if they have a good fuel system too it would be sweet.

The basis DS4 pump is ok mechanically but the PMD would still be a PITA
Bet me that if this thing has CAT electronics they have come up with a better driver for the IP. One thing is for sure there is no reason that another brand of IP could not be used.
The pump from a 3208 Cat could be a style that is a posibility?????

Personally for something that was going to take my skinny little butt into harms way I would not want any of the electronic controls on the engine or tranny.
Under a war situation any equipment that can be knocked out with a magnetic pulse is questionable as far as I am concerned.

There was a tech show on the tube a while back on how the police can knock out vehicles with an electronic shock unit that zaps a rig with a heavy electrical charge and will scramble the computer and stop the thing.

The high tech stuff is only as good as the road it can travel and when it dies the troops loose.

Just some thoughts

I would be very interested in any new revelations on the fuel system being used on the Optimizer

later :D

Robyn

MaxPF
05-28-2007, 22:18
AFAIK brand new .mil 6.5's are still shipped with mechanical Stanadynes, either DB2's or DB4's.

Robyn
05-29-2007, 09:17
Somwhow this does not supprise me.

The DS4 even when its working right, IMHO leaves a certain amount of doubt in my mind.

For emissions and such the electronics are great, for overall dependability I would certainly vote for the DB2

I have never seen a DB4 on a 6.2/6.5, is this a heavier duty pump or ??????????

Robyn

More Power
05-29-2007, 13:47
The DB4 is capable of a little more pressure and more volume. Peninsular has used them on their higher power marine app 6.5's.

All of the 6.5's I saw on AMG's vehicle production line last June were equipped with the MFI pump. I didn't check to see whether they were DB2 or DB4. I suspect DB2. :)

Jim

DA BIG ONE
05-29-2007, 19:08
DB2 and DS2 are rated @ 25 bhp per cylinder while the DB4 has a rating of 40 bhp per cylinder.

http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/ppt_fuel_pumps.asp