PDA

View Full Version : Holley Blue (or Red) for Fuel Lift Pump?

slagona
10-16-2003, 10:51
I've been thinking about my lift pump for a while now. Almost 160K on the original pump now.

Has anyone thought about replacing the OEM lift pump with the Holley Blue or Red Electric fuel pumps? Anyone done it? Anyone see any problems in doing so?

The Red has a 97 GPH flow rate, maximum pressure of 7psi. The Blue has a 110 GPH Flow with a max of 14 psi - it also requires a regulator which can be set between 4.5-9 psi. They are readily available for $40-$60 rebuilt, and seem to be more HD than OEM.

The concern I have is their applicability in a Diesel application - and that Holley states they should not be used in Fuel Injection (Gas) systems.

Last Fuel Pump I bought ( in '97 ) was an autozone special - specs were the same or better than OEM, and it worked fine. Seems like a fuel pump is a fuel pump - as long as specs are where they need to be.

I would like to add a primary fuel filter close to the tank, then the holley fuel pump with a regulator set at 8psi, then the OEM filter (possibly relocated out of the engine valley).

Any thoughts or concerns regarding this setup?

Billman
10-16-2003, 11:07
Slagona

The only bit of information I can tell you from personal experience is that those pumps (both blue and red) are very UNreliable...

We used to run them on the racecars.

jbplock
10-16-2003, 11:29
Scott,

I'm not familair with the Holley pumps but check to see if they are a flow through design (like the Delco EP158 and EP309). I don't think it's good to overload the DS4 when/if the pump fails. smile.gif

slagona
10-16-2003, 12:03
Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering why there were so many rebuilds available out there..... I was looking for a possibly better pump, not necessarily a cheaper pump. Came across these while reading up on Greasel. They recommended the Holley blue for Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) applications, claimed they are stronger and better than the OEM pumps. I'll probably stick with the OEM or autozone pump. Afterall, Dr. Lee used the same autozone pump on one of his projects IIRC.....

gmctd
10-16-2003, 17:30
The Holley pumps are much stronger, at 85gph\7.5psi.
The 6.5 lift pump is 15gph\6.5psi new.
Using 15 gallons in one hour at 60mph, would return 4 miles per gallon.
The stock lift pump is designed with some headroom, necessary for the turbo engines.

The 6.2\6.5 series has a constant-circulation fuel system, where excess fuel is returned to the tank. Helps cool the injection pump at hot-soak warm-start.
This works out well for the DS-4, removing heat from the PMD\FSD.
You'd think - more fuel, cooler system, right?

The system returns engine-heated fuel to the tank.
Diesel fuel foams easily - heated Diesel fuel foams tremendously.
High-volume excess aeration can cause problems with fuel-pickup as level drops down below quarter\tank, and possibly excessive tank pressures.
Liquid cannot be compressed, vapors (foam) can.
Liquid draws well thru a fuel pump, foam does not.

Hi-volume pumps can also cause problems with injection pump housing pressures and advance system.
The gasser injection system fuel bypass return is part of the pressure regulator, and freely bypasses excess volume to the tank without effecting the injection pressures.

Where higher pressure\volume may be needed is with two or more fuel filters between lift pump and injection pump, with maybe one between tank and lift pump. Multiple low micron (an in-line series of several two-micron units is popular now) filters restrict fuel flow, and would severely tax the oem pump.

I think the oem pump is sufficient for most street vehicles. I installed a Racor between tank and lift pump, where water can be drained before it hits the lift pump. This is vacuum service, and should not interfere with correct pressure thru the stock filter to the inj pump.

jd

tom.mcinerney
10-16-2003, 18:46
A primary with a transparent bowl and a water sensor gives nice protection. I moved my OEM off rear engine for better access. Not sure a good idea; the wiring/plumbing was a pain.