PDA

View Full Version : Replacement heads for LB7

bsg406c
05-29-2007, 14:39
My 04 LB7 is in shop and they say i have a bad head causing the leakage into the cylinder. Any and all help and advice excepted. where can i find a replacement head and is there anything i need to do why it is apart/:mad:

More Power
05-29-2007, 17:11
Aside from the dealer, you may be able to locate a used head on eBay or one of the specialty shops - try www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) or www.gmdieseltech.com (http://www.gmdieseltech.com)

Be sure whomever does the work knows the procedure to properly re-seal the injector cups. The GMC dealer here contracts with a local engine shop to install and seal the cups, then perform a pressure test before being delivered back to the dealer for installation on a customer truck. The dealer tech I spoke with recently indicated this (plus new head gaskets) has reduced callbacks to zero - regarding cooling system overpressure.

Jim

Duramaster
05-29-2007, 19:12
Here is some information for you. 1) New GM heads come with the Sleeves already installed. 2) During injector service if a sleeve pulls by accident, clean and inspect the taper in the head for pitting. If there is pitting, replace the head. If no pitting, replace the o rings and apply red locktite to the taper of the sleeve and use the GM tool to reseat the sleeve. 3) I do believe that GM does not support machining of the head anyway (Milling of the deck). Enjoy! :)

bsg406c
05-30-2007, 11:22
Thanks for the advise. I have been reading a lot about coolant system pressurizing. This engine was loosing coolant into one of the cylinders. To my knowledge there were no signs of the coolant system being pressurized. Will do some more checking. Thanks again.

Kennedy
05-30-2007, 19:46
I'd be really surprised if your heads were actually bad. At worst a .ooo5 skim cut should flatten them. Generally just replacing the gaskets will suffice.

bsg406c
05-31-2007, 12:05
The Mechanic who is Certified to perform warranty work for GM has had the engine apart 4 times. I am in the process of getting truck and bringing it up to plant and perform work myself. I figured with all the knowledge form this site and tools and equipment at work i should be able to do it myself. We have big gas turbines we work on, one little diesel engine should be managable. Will have heads send off and tested prior to being reinstalled. Thanks