PDA

View Full Version : suggested replacement air filter element

Dusty Trails
05-30-2007, 22:24
I'm looking for a good air filter element for my '05 LLY and was wondering what you guys suggest. I'm keeping the stock unit, for now, as I'm still on the fence about CAI's. I noticed today that Fram has a cleanable synthetic that requires no oiling. Anybody with any experience with it? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Duramaster
05-30-2007, 23:20
Hey Dusty,

I can tell you the proper air filter to use as far as GM is concerned::::::::::::

Subject: Information on the Proper Air Filter for the Duramax Diesel #05-00-90-001 - (01/05/2005)

Models: 2001-2005 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2005 GMC Sierra

with 6.6L Duramax

Kennedy
05-31-2007, 19:36
On my site under Tech Tips you'll see what I run on my LLY.

WILLYD-MAX
06-01-2007, 18:22
I am no expert on this but I sure like my Amsoil cleanable EaA filter. It is not an oilable filter but is a high effictiency synthetic media that is cleanable with a vacuum or low pressure air, guaranteed for 4yrs. or 100k. I tap the dirt out of mine at every oil change. I am not convinced on it lasting that long on the air volume that the duramax pulls. I have used the UNI that Kennedy talked about and I think its a great filter but I hate the cleaning process on those type of filters.

LanduytG
06-02-2007, 16:49
AC Delco would not be my choice. A test of air filters was done here about a year or two ago. It got a lot of attention, so much in fact that someone was invited to the K&N lab to see some testing. This person swore by the AC Delco. When he came back he was on the phone to me for the new EaA Amsoil filter.

Greg

Duramaster
06-02-2007, 21:19
Here is my problem with the aftermarket reusable air filters........... How can I say this?............ I am a technician at a GMC dealership and I don't have the time to "PROPERLY" service the K&N style filters. I also get a little frustrated with the drivability issues that the brand X filter causes. I also don't care for the fit of the brand X filter when it is used in the GM air box. More often than not when I lift the air box lid to check the filter, I can see how dirt has bypassed the seal of the brand X filter and gone right through to the engine and if it's not the "DUST" then it is the puddle of oil laying in the air box or the oil trail working it's way through the air intake pipe coating the MAF along the way. :o

DmaxMaverick
06-02-2007, 23:43
Here is my problem with the aftermarket reusable air filters........... How can I say this?............ I am a technician at a GMC dealership and I don't have the time to "PROPERLY" service the K&N style filters. I also get a little frustrated with the drivability issues that the brand X filter causes. I also don't care for the fit of the brand X filter when it is used in the GM air box. More often than not when I lift the air box lid to check the filter, I can see how dirt has bypassed the seal of the brand X filter and gone right through to the engine and if it's not the "DUST" then it is the puddle of oil laying in the air box or the oil trail working it's way through the air intake pipe coating the MAF along the way. :o

The Amsoil filter Greg is referring to is a dry, cleanable filter. Shop vac or low pressure air does a nice job of cleaning it in a minute. I've been using one for nearly a year and will say there has been no "dust" (or anything, for that matter) I can find that got past it. I keep a light coat of grease in the intake pipe for checking this. I had an oil-foam type filter before, and agree with you. These are owner-serviceable, unless they want to pay shop rate for you doing it. They are messy and the cleaning process leaves much to be desired. Too much oil can cause other problems, too. Very effective, but a PITA. Oil-gauze filters, on the other hand, don't belong in daily drivers, IMO. Some have reported success with them, but I've seen more damage than good from them. They are fine in competition when you expect a complete overhaul every 50 hours of run time.

carco
06-03-2007, 06:46
What Duramaster said! We see so many filters on various brands of trucks and the only times there are problems are when the filter was never changed/checked someone thought it was a "lifetime",,,, or an aftermarket non OEM filter was used with fit or filtering media problems. bob...........

LanduytG
06-03-2007, 14:55
What Duramaster said! We see so many filters on various brands of trucks and the only times there are problems are when the filter was never changed/checked someone thought it was a "lifetime",,,, or an aftermarket non OEM filter was used with fit or filtering media problems. bob...........

Their are absolutely no fit issues with the Amsoil EaA filter. Also its not a life time and is not advertised that way. I'm not saying their are not bad filters but what I am saying is AC Delco is NOT the one and only solution.

Greg

Dakster
06-03-2007, 16:26
I don't mean to disrespect anyone here... Please don't take it that way. I believe in the aftermarket. I believe that other companies can/will take the time to do certain things better than the OEM.

If an ac delco filter fails, falls-apart, let's dirt/dust in and causes the turbo and engine to fail. I have one place to go to get my truck fixed -> GM will pay to repair/replace the damaged components.

Will brand x provide the same gaurantee? (They might - if not I know personally what I would/could do)

I realize that the majority on this site modify their trucks so much that warranty isn't even an issue.

LanduytG
06-03-2007, 18:39
I don't mean to disrespect anyone here... Please don't take it that way. I believe in the aftermarket. I believe that other companies can/will take the time to do certain things better than the OEM.

If an ac delco filter fails, falls-apart, let's dirt/dust in and causes the turbo and engine to fail. I have one place to go to get my truck fixed -> GM will pay to repair/replace the damaged components.

Will brand x provide the same gaurantee? (They might - if not I know personally what I would/could do)

I realize that the majority on this site modify their trucks so much that warranty isn't even an issue.

Surely you don't think GM would replace your turbo without having to fight with them first do you.

Greg

Dakster
06-04-2007, 12:03
I've know a few people that GM has replaced their turbo... I just try to not give them a reason to deny it.

When I had problems with my 07 subruban, the first questions out of GM Corp. mouth was where was this and your PREVIOUS GM vehicles serviced. I've owned 5 over the years. They researched back to when I was a teenager and bought a new 1990 GEO Storm. This played a role the repurchase decision...

BTW, GM paid more than a turbo to replace a whole bunch of modules and wiring harnesses in my 2007 Suburban. My rental bill alone was 47 days X $45 X 15% = $2328.75. They rented me a GM SUV (granted it wasn't a suburban), their contract rate was $45/Day. I bet the repair bill was thousands of dollars as well.

Your experience may vary...

Dusty Trails
06-04-2007, 22:08
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I just went with a Delco filter this time around for the sake of simplicity. Maybe next time I can do something different. Thanks, again.:)

killerbee
06-05-2007, 17:42
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I just went with a Delco filter this time around for the sake of simplicity. Maybe next time I can do something different. Thanks, again.:)

You made the best choice if you got the correct element. There are 3 different part numbers that fit the box. If you have one that has glue strips across the pleats, you got the right one, the part number is printed on the air box also.

The surface area of that element has no competition. I have checked them all. Plus it will not load up anytime soon, like many of the aftermarket elements do. I like dummy proof.

Duramaster
06-05-2007, 18:15
Yeah But.......... The 8.1 gas engine air filter only has three glue strips across it and the DMAX has five glue strips across it as stated in the posted bulletin. :cool:

killerbee
06-05-2007, 18:22
I am not familiar with the part numbers, but I have the stamp numbers of the non-diesel elements, neither have pleat reinforcements.

A1519C (fewest pleats, just guessing for the 6.0 and lower displcements)

A1518C (same number of pleats as the d-max element)

I have used the 1518C successfully, applying my own waterproof glue. I get them for nothing. :)

Dusty Trails
06-08-2007, 20:21
I bought the A1618C, as stated on the air box, with 5 glue strips I believe. Thanks, again.:)