PDA

View Full Version : new wheels

Dusty Trails
05-30-2007, 22:51
I finally settled on a set of Centerline Vectors in 16x8, 4.5" back spacing and no offset with Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade tires in 265/75R 16. I had to trim the bottom rear of the valence and still need to tie back the lower front edge of the inner liner to eliminate rubbing (stock height). The rear of the wheel well was fine, even with Husky mud flaps. Many of the roads around here have tracks compacted into them from the traffic following the same path over time, and with less back spacing on the wheels, the truck twitches a little when running on the sides of those tracks. Other than that, it runs fine. The speedo is accurate now. It was reading 2mph fast with the stock 245's according to my GPS. We'll see what the new combo has done to my mileage over a few weeks. What I'm getting to is: Should I have the front end (toe and camber) reset to accomodate the new combo, and if so, is there a "good" shop in the Fresno/Visalia area of central CA that can do it. Many mechanics in the area are nothing more than glorified parts changers. I just wonder if there are still people that can align the front for the combo instead of just aligning to specs. Thanks.

Dusty Trails
06-04-2007, 22:12
Nobody with any suggestions? I would think that reducing the backspacing of the wheels would alter the toe-in of the alignment significantly enough to need it adjusted. Or is it not that much of an issue? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dakster
06-05-2007, 17:11
IF you were in South Florida I;d have a place to send you to. They specialize in aligning lifted trucks with oversize tires. In fact, all they so is alignments, period. Unfortunately, Florida and California are not that close...

I always recommend an alignment after changing tires, even if it was to the stock size. Different tires (new vs. old or different brands) need to be checked.

You've got to have shops that lift trucks in your area, ask them where they go to get the trucks aligned...

Dusty Trails
06-08-2007, 20:32
There are some 4X4 shops around. I'll check with them. You'd be surprised at the number of knuckle-draggers out here that consider themselves mechanics! Thanks, Dakster.