PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket change??

keplinger78
05-31-2007, 10:19
Hello,
I got my 4" exhaust and now I'm going to change the head gasket that are leaking.Is there a way to tell what side is leaking so I don't have to do more work than needed? Also do you have to use new head bolts?I have service manuals and they say to use new bolts.

Thanks Tom K.

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2007, 11:34
The head bolts are TTY (Torque To Yield), and can't be reused. Be very careful to follow the torque procedure according to your manual when installing them.

The leak, depending on how it's leaking, can be located by leak-down testing, compression testing, coolant pressure testing, or by visual evidence. How is it leaking? Coolant in the cylinder, pressurized coolant, water/oil mixing?

keplinger78
05-31-2007, 20:20
The head bolts are TTY (Torque To Yield), and can't be reused. Be very careful to follow the torque procedure according to your manual when installing them.

The leak, depending on how it's leaking, can be located by leak-down testing, compression testing, coolant pressure testing, or by visual evidence. How is it leaking? Coolant in the cylinder, pressurized coolant, water/oil mixing?
It's not getting hot just pressurized coolant.It gets low after a few days,but never HOT,May-be 4"low in the rad etc.I think I'm just going to do both,with new bolts,I have done Suzuki Sidekick motor and didn't use new bolts but it was a 1.3 L with 75 hp...LOL

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2007, 22:17
Nothing wrong with just doing both. That's what I'd do.

At the same time, if you are losing coolant with no other symptoms, coolant leaks can be sneaky. Even the water pump can leak and you'd never see it. If it's pressurizing the coolant, the head gasket is a pretty safe bet if no coolant in the oil. The alternative, although rare, is ugly....New block/heads. Good luck, and we'll be here while you do it. It won't be much different than that Sidekick, just heavier, and you don't have to mess with a cam.

Mtrman
06-01-2007, 06:45
If you pull the crossover pipe off. and take your fan belt off. I will say it again make sure you take the fan belt off you don't want the water pump spinning,you can start the engine and see which side bubbles. It will look just like an air bubbler in a fish tank. It will show which side is the actually bad, but I would still change both head gaskets. Take your time torquing the new headbolts. Do it just like the book says and don't cut any corners.
Mike

tommac95
06-01-2007, 19:14
Kep-
Get a signature line that indicates mileage , model year , etc.

If the head gaskets leak that can allow water into the cylinder (bad news) .

keplinger78
06-01-2007, 20:37
Kep-
Get a signature line that indicates mileage , model year , etc.

If the head gaskets leak that can allow water into the cylinder (bad news) .
May-be I have one now:rolleyes: ....May-be

keplinger78
06-01-2007, 20:37
May-be I have one now:rolleyes: ....May-be

Yep it worked...LOL;)