PDA

View Full Version : Where are you going this Summer?

Screefer
05-31-2007, 20:59
Hi,
Thought I might start a new thread. Where are you going for summer holidays this year? Are you camping? Boating? Going to the Cottage?

My wife and I are heading to Cariboo Lake , mid July to mid August, its in the Interior of British Columbia, about 40 km North-East of Likely, 90 km North-east of Williams Lake,BC. Very much wild country. Good fishing, lake trout, Rainbow trout and Kokanee salmon, nice beach, just 6 campsites which we hope are all empty. We plan to do quite a bit of boating in the Zodiac up the Cariboo River ( Google Cariboo River Provincial Park ) Great wildlife viewing. Sandhill Cranes, Black and Grizzly bear, moose, deer, wolves etc.

Back at camp are hiking, gold panning and of course the odd ;) beer or Margarita.

So lets hear from all you others. Whats your destination?

Inspector
05-31-2007, 22:26
Not far---------------------------------

ercaduceus
06-01-2007, 02:30
Whats a Vacation?

moondoggie
06-01-2007, 12:05
Good Day!

Mid-July, Black Hills with family. Son & I will hopefully take a couple days in the middle to shoot out to the Power Pull.

OTS: You might know of a place I visited a few years ago. You go west out of Williams Lake somewhere in the vicinity of Riske Creek, & turn north on a gravel road. I think ~ 12 miles north, there's a reasonably (for a city guy) isolated campground with maybe 15-20 spots. One of the best vacations I ever had. I was looking for where the author of "Three Against the Wilderness" had lived, so I bounced around on dirt backroads trying to not get lost and/or break the vehicle I needed to not only get me home, but back & forth to work after I got home. If you know anything about what I'm talking about, PM me your email address, I'll email you mine, & maybe you can give me more details - nobody I talked to in Williams Lake ever heard of the book. :confused:

Blessings!

jsmiracle
06-03-2007, 21:14
My family and I just returned from a week+ in Myrtle Beach, SC. Other than the heavy traffic of the holiday and Bike Week, it was a very nice trip. The kids loved the beach and the campground pool.

The truck pulled our TT wonderfully over the mountains and we passed many on the long, steep grade:) . We still managed an average fuel economy of 12.0 mpg getting there and 11.9 mpg on the return trip (hand calc'd). EGT's stayed less than 1250F and usually less than 1050F. The transmission kicked out of OD only a few times. Overheating was never an issue and the cooling fan only kicked on once or twice. Overall, a great trip.

Oh...... the Aux. Fuel Tank was great. Very long fueling ranges....many stops at Rest Areas instead of fueling stops.

Jim M.

Roy W
06-04-2007, 08:22
Hey Jim.....I knew you'd like the extra 60 gallons. Now if only I could teach my wife and dog to cross their legs for 500 miles.......Roy

jsmiracle
06-04-2007, 18:16
Roy,

Loved the flexibility.....my wife and four kids kept me stopping at "pit stops", though. My wife says the gatorade bottles don't work well for everyone:D . Thanks for your help during the install.

Jim M.

mafrazer1
06-04-2007, 20:22
I'll be making the now "customary" trip to the PA mountains East of Pittsburgh. Very different from camping in Ohio, no flat land.
My Wife's college buddy got us started camping every year, we had tents, then a pop-up, now a 30 ft. trailer. Towed by diesel power of course.
My '97 Suburban is ready for the grades to climb. This is my first trip to the mountains with the larger trailer. All my reading of this forum has guided the modifications, we are ready.:cool:

gillguy
06-05-2007, 08:51
My job ends July 13th So I plan on taking some time off before starting another. Going camping in PA amish area, and may visit a few other states before returning to south Georgia.
Got to get some miles on my new truck. Will be the first long trip pulling a TT with a diesel.:D

Zacc
06-06-2007, 21:37
Hi,
Thought I might start a new thread. Where are you going for summer holidays this year? Are you camping? Boating? Going to the Cottage?

My wife and I are heading to Cariboo Lake , mid July to mid August, its in the Interior of British Columbia, about 40 km North-East of Likely, 90 km North-east of Williams Lake,BC. Very much wild country. Good fishing, lake trout, Rainbow trout and Kokanee salmon, nice beach, just 6 campsites which we hope are all empty. We plan to do quite a bit of boating in the Zodiac up the Cariboo River ( Google Cariboo River Provincial Park ) Great wildlife viewing. Sandhill Cranes, Black and Grizzly bear, moose, deer, wolves etc.

Back at camp are hiking, gold panning and of course the odd ;) beer or Margarita.

So lets hear from all you others. Whats your destination?

......You Win

Screefer
06-06-2007, 21:58
Hey, I wasn't trying to win. I just find it interesting to hear where others like to go on holidays. After all there seem to be lots of you in this forum that are pulling travel trailers of some sort. Thats the reason for the diesels isn't it?
More Power to pull with?
We went on a short run a few weeks ago with the trailer fully loaded (about 10,000lbs) and I was amazed at how well it performed. So were a lot of others that we blew by on the hills.:D

Keep the summer trips coming! I'm sure they are interesting to everyone.

rustyk
06-06-2007, 23:16
Monday, 6/11, I leave for a star party in Ohio (near Lodi).

Mext month, around 7/4, I leave for another in western IN, followed by a trip to my sister's, then another star party in Nebraska (near Valentine). Then back to Sis's, then home.

Many miles, but then, that's what motorhomes do...:D

Philsauto
06-23-2007, 08:19
Hey, I wasn't trying to win. I just find it interesting to hear where others like to go on holidays. After all there seem to be lots of you in this forum that are pulling travel trailers of some sort. Thats the reason for the diesels isn't it?
More Power to pull with?
We went on a short run a few weeks ago with the trailer fully loaded (about 10,000lbs) and I was amazed at how well it performed. So were a lot of others that we blew by on the hills.:D

Keep the summer trips coming! I'm sure they are interesting to everyone.

>>>
Well, your trip sure sounds like fun! We plan to haul our fifth wheel and boat down to San Diego to Mission bay and camp for a week on the water. This will be our fourth year at Campland on the Bay but our first with the fifth wheel. We were tent campers before, so this is a big step up. At the beginning of this month we spent a week in a work/play trip in Oakhurst, just outside of Yosemite and spent time in the national park there. I could get spoiled doing that. However, the coolant consumption on the Dmax kept me grounded in life's realities. I'm about 50% reassembled after replacing the head gaskets in my 2001 2500HD long bed crew cab. I do love the truck though, and seeing the inside of the motor and the quality of construction makes me confident of this truck as a tow vehicle.

We hope to spend three weeks with my daughter, her husband, and my granddaughter in Southern Idaho in October. That will be an interesting long pull for the truck/trailer combination.

Beedee
06-25-2007, 06:21
I changed jobs this year, so not entitled to holidays for awhile, so just planning on dragging the trailer around Vancouver Island for the weekends, which will be just fine for now, giving the trailer, and the truck, a couple of good shakedowns before we go too far.
And besides, when you already live in paradise, you don't need to go to far from home ;)
Brian

rustyk
06-25-2007, 22:24
Actually, I won't be leaving for the Indiana hinterlands until 7/6.

The 6/11 (start) trip to Lodi, OH was done with no complications, returning to home 6/19. One of the joys of having a motorhome is "motorhoming" - around 16K miles a year on the road...

JeffsTowTruck
06-27-2007, 06:23
2 trips so far this year. Went to Daytona 500 in Feb. for a week and just got back from a week in Myrtle Beach. Unsure where we'll go the rest of the year.. Maybe a couple local trips. ( Pic below was before Air Bags ) I'm around 11k. an I'm always the last one up the hill !!!!! My 6.5 does not want any more...( Dreaming of a DMAX ) But the 3k +/- on the road this year has been flawless.
http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/4659/2248588120069926656S425x425Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2248588120069926656pWBNYB)

David Utz
07-01-2007, 20:17
Just got back from 17 days Ohio to California and back. 14 States, just under 6000 miles and used about 575 gallons of diesel. (hit some nasty head winds in the planes dropping me close to 7 MPG at 65 MPH). Only one major problem. Left rear truck tire came apart after being pummeled on I-40 in Oklahoma City. Five miles later, the tread came off. Tore up the fender flair, bent up the rear quarter and put a big dent in the running board. The good news is the tire never blew. I limped to the next exit and found a Chevy dealer. They did not have any 245's in stock but did have a set of 265's. two hours later they had me back on the road with four new Firestones. This was the first trip with this new trailer. Only found two warrenty items. The microwave fan is rubbing something and the washer drain line is plumbed wrong. It dumps into the black tank.
We went west on I-70, I-44, and I-40 to L.A., turned north to San Francisco, East to Cheyenne, south to Colorado Springs, and I-70 back to Ohio. No rain the entire trip (there were some snow fluries on top of Pikes Peak).