PDA

View Full Version : Another Smoke Thread

Steelheader
06-01-2007, 01:13
Well, here's another "black smoke" thread. I tried sifting through the search feature, but can't find anything to relate too.

I have put in a 4" exhaust from Jerry Jardine, and did the Kennedy Diesel cooling upgrade. I noticed that when I start the truck, and when I take off from a stop, I get a quick dump of black smoke. Whenever I am pulling my boat and give it a foot full of throttle, I dump another puff of black smoke right before it downshifts. I don't have any black smoke while idiling, or running a steady rpm. Only when I have to put my foot down. Is this normal when going to a larger exhaust and changing the cooling equipment? Any ideas on what is happening. Note: This wasn't happening prior to my mods.

The truck runs like a raped ape, and I can now pull my boat up hill, and not exceed 225*. Before I would have to pull over 2 or 3 times to let the motor cool down when going up a long grade with my boat. TIA. :cool:

Mark Rinker
06-01-2007, 06:17
That puff of black smoke is normal. Its caused by turbo lag - the time it takes for the turbo to spool up. The unburned fuel is what you are seeing - it clears up as the turbo catches up and starts making boost.

The Jarline exhaust looks and sounds nice on a 6.5. And cheap.

Robyn
06-01-2007, 06:40
Mark pretty much covered it.
Your cooling upgrades and 4 inch exhaust had nothing to do with the issue.

I suspect that with the upgrades you are very much looking for something and paying a buttload of attention and just noticed what has been going on all along.

The 4 inch exhaust may have slowed the velocity of the exhaust some and the "Puff of smoke" may just be a little more visible now.

As long as the stack is clean when the engine is up to speed and the turbo is spinning along happily, your in great shape.

NOW If the little beast starts blowing black all the time your on the pedal then its time to have a look at things.

Later

Robyn

gmctd
06-01-2007, 06:50
Dirty air filter will cause black smoke...................

moondoggie
06-01-2007, 08:07
Good Day!

You might want to click on "Quick Links", then "Edit Signature", & let us know what year, model, equipment etc. truck you are talking about. It's handy, because you don't have to remember to do it, it shows up at the bottom of all your posts automatically. :)

If your truck is a 93 or older, you're might get more of this than newer 6.5s because your IP is fully mechanical - when you snap the footfeed, the fuel rate instantly goes up. (This may be true of newer trucks with the DS4 IPs too, so maybe yours isn't more prone to this - I'm sure our experts will chime in.)

In theory, a larger exhaust will tend to cause LESS black smoke in all operating conditions - the turbo can/will spool up quicker & spin faster.

Let us know how it comes out, that helps ALL of us.

Blessings!

Steelheader
06-01-2007, 09:11
Thanks for setting my mind at ease folks.

It more than likely is the "spool up" from the turbo. It only does it right before/when the turbo starts singing, then it's gone. It doesn't smoke all the time, thank goodness.

Yes, the Jardine exhaust is AWESOME! I could actually "feel" the motor become unleashed when I put the Jardine exhaust on. I would never have known that the exhaust would make that much of a difference. Before the exhaust mod, I would push on the pedal and it felt like something was holding the truck back. After...WOW! Like I said, it felt like it was "unleashed." The sound is incredible. I fire it up around other people and they have this look of surprise on their faces when it starts. For $330.00 total, you cannot beat this mod with any other exhaust. My truck is a '94 2500, so I am not too worried about the looks of the more expensive SS exhaust systems. The thing don't have no bling. :D

Oh, I also increased my MPG by 2 miles, when hauling my 19' Bowrider boat, by switching to Amsoil and adding the larger exhaust. I used to get 12 MPG when hauling the boat up and down the mountains around here. Now I get 14. In these times of high prices, I am always happy to squeeze out whatever I can.

Shikaroka
06-01-2007, 09:26
You probably also removed the stock cat (soot trap) too, right? That may be why you are seeing the smoke a little easier now.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Steelheader
06-01-2007, 09:37
You probably also removed the stock cat (soot trap) too, right? That may be why you are seeing the smoke a little easier now.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep, sure did. I've got no restictions from the turbo back. Although I did elect to install the muffler with the louvers pointed forward. Believe me, it doesn't need to be any louder than it already is. :D

robertb6963
06-01-2007, 09:45
Yea diesels are suppost smoke i.e.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz2Oh_DGo7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6p1D28hVQ&mode=related&search=

Sorry i just saw these and thought yall might like 'em!
Guess i could've found a 6.5 burnout.