View Full Version : What's big, yellow, and dead as a doornail?

Steve O.
04-01-2005, 18:50
If you said "Steve's truck" you win.

Started making a death rattle noise from under the hood while driving on the highway this afternoon. got off the highway immediately. The noise picked up speed in relation to throttle position. It did read good oil pressure though.

It seemed to get louder very quickly, in only the half mile or so before I parked it. Little or no sound at idle, but it was smoking a bit from the tailpipe.

This is a replacement re-man unit from a well known vendor. The original motor only had 120K on it but I know it had a hard life towing a huge horse trailer and was owned by someone who may have ridden the truck hard and put it away wet, if you know what I mean. The first engine I bought last year lasted only two days and less than a couple hundred miles before it grenaded itself. They later told me they apparently installed a bad crank in it. "No kidding" I said. Still waiting for them to reimburse me for the price of the second install.

I baby this truck, and have only towed twice on this engine, both times last spring. Brand new tranny last year and tons of upgrades. Just changed the oil the other day too and put in the Hochkis sway bars. But I'm about at the end of my rope with the truck.

Of course, the motor let go five minutes after I got a call telling me that my young wife, who has Stage 4 breast cancer, has to go back into the hospital for short-notice surgery on Tuesday. At this rate, I expect the next call I get to be my accountant to tell me I'm about to get audited by the IRS or something like that.

We'll see what the mechanic has to say, but I have a feeling I'm about to be looking at engine number four.

Steve

rjschoolcraft
04-01-2005, 20:18
Really sorry to hear that...and I will pray for your wife.

markrinker
04-02-2005, 04:21
Wow. What a string of unfortunate luck. Been there. I think there is great satisfaction and 'God credits' by seeing these things through. Hold the appropriate vendors accountable. Keep perspective.

My thoughts are also with your wife.

ace58
04-02-2005, 05:44
We can hope and pray the engine supplier steps up, your wife's situation improves, and the IRS, well anyway...

rameye
04-02-2005, 10:52
Sorry about your troubles...

I'm in Ct, and if you need a hand I can make a field trip. I'm not not Mr Goodwrench, sometimes you just need a helping hand.

I know what it means to be drowning in Bull$h1t.

Best to you

ram

Dvldog 8793
04-02-2005, 18:32
Howdy
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Keep the faith and I'll be prayin for you and yours.
L8r
Conley
USMC 87-93

DA BIG ONE
04-03-2005, 01:37
Here we pray that everything goes well for your wife (most important)and you.

As for the burb, I'm hoping for you it is not as bad as it sounds!

Try to kep the stress in check, and keep us informed about your wife, then the burb.

Andrew

Marty Lau
04-04-2005, 09:11
We will keep your wife and you in our prayes your life improves on all fronts.

TTM
04-04-2005, 10:31
Hope you get your truck up and running soon. Thoughts go out to you and your wife.