PDA

View Full Version : Code 236

Truckie117
06-02-2007, 08:24
Hey Guys
My check engine light came on and I went to autozone and they put a code reader on and came up with this code 236 something about a boost. Any other information on this code? where should I start looking.
Thanks

DennisG01
06-02-2007, 09:59
More often than not, it's a bad wastegate solenoid starting to fail (about $35). It controls the vacuum to the wastegate. Follow the vacuum line that is connected at the top of the wastegate over to the driver's side and you'll see the solenoid. Could also be vacuum lines (cracked, split, broken) or the vacuum pump itself. Clear the code, see if it comes back. When one of those things are failing, you'll get a lot of black smoke under heavy acceleration (and of course power will drop off since the turbo is basically not doing anything). Try spraying some WD-40 into the vacuum line on top of the wastegate - should help to lubricate the solenoid.

Truckie117
06-02-2007, 12:09
Thanks D
I do see some black smoke when I accelerate to hwy speeds sometimes.
I cleared the code but it came back. The diaphragm in the waste gate seems ok it operates when I manually put vacuum to it. Recently the hard black plastic did break at the rubber connection on the waste gate but i just stuck it back in now I put some rtv around the connection. will check that selinoid.
Thanks
Mike