PDA

View Full Version : Slightly longer starting cycle

curmudge1
08-29-2003, 09:05
1994 Blazer w/ 6.5 TD. 220K miles, new DS4 pump last fall, new batteries late last fall... seems like it takes a little bit longer to start after it sits overnight; instead of 2-3 seconds (crank...start), it's taking 5-6+ seconds and sorta trying to start before it actually starts. Sorta half-catches a couple of times, then starts. Noticeable, but not scary yet... but, I'd like to figure out what's different & fix/make better before it's a real problem.

Oh, & I've had a stutter/miss on hard acceleration for several months, I think it's the fuel cutoff switch (again!, #3 or 4). But I noticed that way before the starting difference.

ucdavis
08-29-2003, 10:52
Check codes & post any.
Fuel shut-off solenoid is unusual,tho not unheard of. Looks like you're outside the warranty period; you can R&R just the FSO easily; just clean off the area around it first & dry it to avoid contaminating inside of IP. If you have one of the old pumps laying around, the FSO on it is probably good.
I haven't tried this, but know someone who did- hold the FSO when helper turns key to run & you should feel the solenoid bump open if its working.
Rough running at speed or 'missing' is probably something else; if FSO is going, I'd expect to get stalling rather than a miss.

curmudge1
08-29-2003, 11:54
The fuel cutoff switch I was referring to is the oil pressure (iirc) switch between the engine & the firewall. I know THAT switch can cause engine hiccups under hard acceleration, 'cuz I've replaced it & had the hiccups go away. I've also seen some other posts about that. Might be in a different spot for some other year engines, but mine is between everthing and the firewall... I had to crawl into the (cool) engine compartment... also used a special socket (~5$) from Autozone. But I wasn't really thinking that that was affecting my start cycle, just including that info in case it's relevant.

Seems more like there isn't fuel to the injection pump, maybe? Engine has to crank to get fuel going? I'll check the lift pump & replace the fuel filter next weekend, or the weekend after, maybe.

Still would like to hear any suggestions. TIA.