PDA

View Full Version : Rear Park Assist Question

Dakster
06-03-2007, 06:37
My new 2007 LMM Equiped, 3500HD, CC, 4wd, D/A has rear park assist. It seems to be a lot pickier than my 2007 Suburban.

Hopefully, Duramaster can chime in as well as the plethora of other knowledgable folks here.

It seems that more often than not I get a rear park assist off message shortly after starting in reverse. I first thought it was the ball hitch, which sets it off immediately. I've since taken in off and it doesn't sound, but I still get the Rear Park Assist Off message and I can't turn it on via the console button. If I turn the truck completely off and On it will reset.

Is there a way with a scan tool to check the park assist sensors? Also, is there a way to turn off the automatic disabling of the system? Then when the light is solid red, I could go out and uplug the sensors one at time until it went out to check for a bad sensor myself. The "end-user", owners manual was not very helpful.

I am going to check the connections as soon as the driveway dries up from yesterdays Tropical Storm ripping thru South Florida.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Dak

Duramaster
06-04-2007, 21:27
I found this Dackster, but you are already aware of this........................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Park Assist Off Message On DIC - keywords hitch inoperative rear sonic ultra ultrasonic URPA #PIT4198 - (11/28/2006)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may state that the " Parking Assist Off " message is appearing on the Drivers Information Center (DIC) at times. If the vehicle has a trailer hitch and it is installed into the trailer hitch receiver, the rear park assist will disable the system until the trailer hitch is removed and the vehicle is driven forward above 15 MPH.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This is normal operation of the system.

Note: Please note that any object that is installed in the receiver hitch or extending from the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle was last driven and the vehicle is shut off will disable the rear Park Assist until the object is removed and the vehicle is driven forward above 15 MPH.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Duramaster
06-04-2007, 21:30
I also found this.............................................. .. Hope it helps............................................. ............

Object Detection Description and Operation
Ultrasonic Rear Park Assist Operation
The ultrasonic rear park assist system senses how close the vehicle is to an object. The distance is determined by the 4 object sensors located in the rear bumper. The object detection system will notify the driver when backing up at speeds less than 8 km/h (5 mph). The object detection system will use the rear parking assist (RPA) display and the radio speakers for notification.

When the ignition is ON and the vehicle is placed into reverse, the object detection system performs a bulb check. During the bulb check, the 3 indicators on the RPA will illuminate for approximately 2 seconds to indicate that the system is working. The object detection system performs a bulb check and operates when the following conditions are present:

Dakster
06-05-2007, 06:28
Duramaster,

That helps alot believe it or not. I am not going to put the hitch back in for awhile since I don't have to tow a trailer at the moment. I will see if the message comes back. At least I don't get the SERVICE PARK ASSIST message which tells me it is just deactivated because of one the above reasons. I think they should include a large amount of water exits the bed, which is what I believe deactivated it the last time. (Tropical Storm Barry left a LOT of standing water in the bed - another reason to get a tonneau cover)

It also gives me a point of reference if I break out my voltometer to check connections.

Thanks,

Dak