PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler questions

Aryeh Levy
08-28-2005, 20:19
I've got a 1998 my k3500 - it was made mid 1997
Do i have the lower compression pistons?
I think it went from 21.3 to 20.2 or 19.5
what did it do?

My Chilton says nothing other than all my cr same in all 6.5 trucks

Also i saw one of those muscle cars with the big hole in the hood

went with some of my buddies to an RX-7 rally and saw the intercooler on top of intake

Question!

Can't i save all the plumbing, and just cut a hole in my hood with a scoop funneling air through the intercooler poking 90% above the hood? i think it would look nice, especially with a hood scoop taking up the area in the hole. This would make opening the hood OK - no broken intercooler lines,
and with a mounting plate with rubber seal around edges would make hood watertight enough...

Is this feasable? Thinking of mounting intercooler in the location with high sloping forwards, and high CFM elec radiator fan sucking air through it.

Total height above hood ~6"

Hood scoop would be designed to take air 6" above hood and run it down to 3" below hood where 9" of diagonally forward mounted intercooler would rest, behind it a fan sucking air , and behind that, other part of scoop to return now hot air back to windshield.

The 1998 trucks seem pretty good - I still don't agree with 12 mpg, i think i should get at least 15-17

Also: We've got autolocking hubs - they release the half-shafts, and when in 2wd they don't turn that differential, right?

ace58
08-29-2005, 16:43
I believe JK has stated on numerous occasions that all 6.5 have the same 22 to 1 compression rate.

Dvldog 8793
08-29-2005, 17:04
Howdy
This just in from AMGeneral....
The compression ratio of the new 6.5 (2002 - up) is listed as 20.2:1 .
Just thought I would share this info as I think this a change from what they were from the factory, 22.0:1 ???
L8r
Conley Janssen

RT
08-30-2005, 13:34
Its kinda funny but no matter how many times you ask the mpg you are getting is appropriate given your vehicle. Its a big honkin' dually 4X4 with 4.11 gears. The best you will ever see is 14mpg. Stop worrying about the compression ratio. IIRC, you drive the truck for pleasure not work? You don't tow heavy? Then a stock engine will do you just fine. Aftermarket exhaust and a chip might make the truck more fun to drive but likely won't help the mpg's enough to warrant the costs. Lastly, even if you are successful at mounting the intercooler through the hood likely the intercooler will be too small to do the job correctly and severely inhibit access to the engine for any type of maintenence, etc. Several homebrewed FMIC's have been installed with minimal effort and piping issues. Sorry to be blunt but if you want a max mpg big truck then you need a 3/4ton, stick shift, 2WD with 3.42's. You are going to have to live with what you have. There was another guy on this board a while back on the same quest as you. He spent a lot of time and more important, money without gains that were worthwhile. RT