PDA

View Full Version : Aux fuel filter installation, is it worth it?

JFerg65
06-03-2007, 18:33
I've been reading and contemplating putting in an inline fule filter before the lift pump. I read a previous article on this and was wondering if in the long run is a worth while addition. If I maintainthe current fuel system and purchase fuel from a high volume dealer would I be ok?

If the answer is one should have one, What brands are people installing?

Thanks

damork
06-04-2007, 13:06
I've been running a Racor 645 for over 100k miles, and yes, having extra filtration is well worth it in my opinion. I have over 125k on my injection pump now and credit the extra filtration as a big part of that.

However, I am not impressed with Racor's ability to resist salt corrosion, and had to replace the filter head at nearly the cost of the whole filter. The coating failed and salt ate away at the sealing surface - Racor would not replace it, probably because it was not designed to withstand undercarriage environments in salt. For now, I spray the complete filter with a waxy undercoat sealer to protect it and that seems to work. I don't know if another brand would be any better.

JFerg65
06-04-2007, 16:38
The salt is exactly what I was concerned about. It eats everything. My new suburban (1996) is so clean got it out of Kansas. I'm going to try to park it for the winter. The salt in northeast ohio is the absolute worst!!

tommac95
06-04-2007, 21:30
There are two issues here -
1) increased filtration above proper OEM filtration.
2) redundancy , in case the OEM filter fails.

When maintaining my truck i found many sand grains in the strainer at the input to the FIP. That means the OEM conditioner failed , and the FIP ingested a bit of abrasive grit. [I added extras].

CareyWeber
06-05-2007, 10:41
I have a Racor 445 with 30 micron element on my truck before the lift pump. :D

The one thing no one has mentioned is that to effectively remove water from diesel the water seperator (Racor 445) needs to be before the lift pump (psi mixes water and diesel or at least keeps the water from going to the bottom where the drain is).

I have a heater in mine too.

Carey