PDA

View Full Version : Dual tank Suburban ??

Shikaroka
06-04-2007, 11:07
Do all of the Suburbans have the tank way out back like my 96 TD?
Will a frame rail mounted tank from a pickup fit in a Suburban?

I'd like to put a second fuel tank on my Burb, but I'd like to keep it on a tight budjet. Is that possible?

What (if any) are my options?

DieselMonk
06-04-2007, 15:54
my 00 2500 Yukon XL I sold had a 148 or 149 liter tank. There was a main tank and a little one joined together somehow. That sucker was a B*tch on gas!

Craig M
06-04-2007, 17:45
Yes, all the Suburbans have the fuel tank between the frame rails, out back in the rear. While there is room for a long and skinny tank, between the outside of the body and the frame rail, a tank from a GMC/Chevy pickup will not fit. The Suburban doors are lower than a pickup bed so a pickup tank will not fit. I was looking to fit a propane tank in this area, and can only fit a 7" diameter tank in there if I recall.

HillBilly2
06-04-2007, 18:23
I'm not clear on this either, The 92 up trucks had the side tank inside the frame rails if I recall correctly. I believe the earlier models had them outside the rails. I've been looking under my burb trying to decide what would work as well. I think I have enough room inside the rails but would have to redo the exhaust and remove the duals it has now. Please let us know if you find anything that will work as there are others out here that would like to do the same thing.

Shikaroka
06-05-2007, 09:10
Thanks guys.
I guess I'm going to have to do some measuring. I was hoping someone had done this before and we all could learn from them. Maybe that someone will have to be me.
I have thought about building my own aluminum tank, as the pre-made ones are too expensive in my opinion.

Shikaroka
06-06-2007, 07:37
I'm wondering about the newer Suburbans/Yukons (2000+). They have the spare tire out back (underneath). Where is their fuel tank?