PDA

View Full Version : 6.2/6.5 reliabilty

raunch
06-05-2007, 07:21
New to the board. Here to learn more about the 6.2/6.5's as I'm looking into swapping the 2f in my FJ 60 for a diesel. One of these two diesels would be the most affordable for me to do, adapters/parts are readily available, and I don't need to do a spring over to make it fit. I've heard mixed reviews of reliabilty, especially of the 6.2. What's the real story on these motors?

If I do the swap, I would add a turbo and have the motor rebuilt. I am not a hard core wheeler, but I need a reliable rig with suitable power to tow my pop-up at a decent speed with reasonable economy--hence my need of a diesel. Also, for a variety of reasons, I want to burn veg oil.

Thanks for any info.

83Blzr62
06-05-2007, 12:30
The 6.2 does have some problems, however they can be addressed and fixed. Two major problems are cracked mains and brocken cranks. This can be resolved, by limmiting the power the engine is producing and splayed mains or heavy duty bottom end girdle. Also get a new balancer for the crank shaft, and many people recomend getting the engine balanced and index ground at a good machine shop. Another problem is head cracks between the valves where coolant flows. A fix for that can be found in an article on this site or in the 6.2/6.5 trouble shooting book. I would also get felpro head gaskets, new lifters and check the cam clearance. If it is turboed, it might be a good idea to lower the comprsion to around 19.5. I also like the DSG timming gears, because they will last forever. If all these are done you can easily and reliably get 250 hp 400 ftlbs of torque out of a turbo 6.2. One could also be built for $5000 or $6000(splayed mains) US, if you shop around and do it yourself.

This is my opinion at least.

Good luck,
Kyle

BigGun J
06-05-2007, 21:52
I am new here as well. I am in the process of reading all I can here. I have a 85 FJ60 that I want to convert over for the same reasons. I am thinking about going with the Marks adapter to the H55F 5 speed. Tomorrow I am picking up a 83 motor out of a 3500 so I think it should be a J code motor? The guy says it turns over but he has not tried to start it. He bought the truck for the dulleys and flat bed. Goal is to find a soild block to start the rebuild from. I also have a buddy whos neighbor parked a burb four years ago and is now a yard ornament. Hopefully it will only be another 100 bucks. Do not know the year yet? I am in the Seattle area. IH8MUD is a great Toyota site. Alot of good information if you have not found it yet. I ordered the troubleshooting guide and 6.2 volume 2. I recommend them. I am also going to order volume 1 as well. Folks here seem very friendly and knowledgeable.

Good luck on you build.

Jim
85 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60. Soon to have a little beastie!!

raunch
06-06-2007, 06:22
Thanks for the info, I'm finding tons of other information here as well. Seems as though there are plenty of diesels sitting around decorating front lawns and taking up space in the back 40. I saw an '85 burb for sale yesterday, and a few others. However, I want a turbo, so I just might wait until a turbo'd 6.5 comes along. Looking yesterday, I found the Banks sidewinder kit for the 6.2 for just over $2,000.

I am on MUD often, but wish I would have been there earlier (pre 2f rebuild). That being the case, there would already be a diesel in my fj60.

moondoggie
06-06-2007, 08:57
Good Day!

Did you see this (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27824)?

Blessings!

raunch
06-06-2007, 11:13
Thanks, Yes I did see it.

MaxPF
06-06-2007, 19:41
It should be noted that the problems Blzr6.2'83 mentioned, while catastrophic, are actually pretty rare. Make sure the harmonic damper and crank pulley are in good shape - the balancer in particular is a biggie. It is usually needing replacement after 100k miles, and a bad balancer can lead to a broken crank. Injectors, IP's, and glow plugs are other maintenance items. Start looking to rebuild or replace them after 150k miles or so (or less for the glow plugs). Fortunately they are cheap compared to pretty much any other diesel. 94 and up electronically controlled 6.5's have their own issues, and are harder to swap, so stick with the mechanically injected motors unless you like wiring. Electronic 6.5's can be converted to mechanical by simply changing to a suitable mechanical IP. Other than those items 6.2's and 6.5's don't usually give their owners much grief.