PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a 1995 or 1997 1ton 4x4 crewcab dually 5spd

mrbornery21
06-06-2007, 15:46
Just got done putting a 1997 6.5 turbo diesel engine that came out of a 1997 1ton 4x4 dually equiped with an automatic. In a 1995 1ton 4x4 dually equiped with a 5spd.

My question is

1. Do the trucks with a manual trans de-fuel or something when you let of the gas in 4th gear doing 35mph?. I have the hood still off and when im driving I can hear diesel chatter but when i let of the gas and the rpms drop to about a 1000rpm chatter goes away completely sounds like the injection pump shuts down cause i hear no injectores clicking. As soon as I push in the clutch or touch the throttle chatter comes back it happens in other gears too. serirously sounds like the you turned the key off and turned it back on Just wondering if this is normal for these trucks. I never drove the truck when it had the 1995 motor in it so i dont know if this is normal.

2. Is there any difference in the engine electronics from the 1997 motor that was equipted with an automatic trans vs. A 1995 engine that was equiped with a manual 5spd trans all harnesses pluged right in when I intalled the 1997 motor. could this cause a conflict in the electronics causing the truck to sound like it turns off. Truck runs, starts and drives great so far, its just spooky when it sounds like the engine turns off.

joed
06-06-2007, 16:01
My truck is a 98 3/4 5 spd and yes what you are describing is normal. It won't inject fuel on a decel. until a certain speed is reached. It will 'fire-up- on it's own to help prevent a stall (within reason).

As far as electronics, I think just the programming in the ECM would be the main difference for manual vs. auto. Obviously, the auto trans. has some sensors that the man. trans. won't, but since you're running the ECM from the man. trans. truck, it shouldn't be looking for them...

Hope that helps.

Joe.

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2007, 18:35
The EFI pumps go to 0 fuel if the pedal position is less than the desired RPM. This means no fuel injected when the engine is on compression, or winding down after revving. As the engine RPM approaces the pedal position, fueling comes back, and brings the rattle with it. MFI pumps do a similar thing, only with the governor in the pump. What you are experiencing is normal for nearly all automotive Diesels.

mrbornery21
06-07-2007, 16:50
Never drove a 5sd turbo diesel before, just seemed spooky. Thanks for the reply. But I put tags on it yesterday and when i drove the truck down the freeway the "service engine soon" light came on the codes I retrieved were

DTC 78 Turbo wastegate soleniod fault.

DTC 84 Accelerator pedal position circuit fault.

DTC 99 Accelerator pedal position 2 ( 5 volt reference fault).

going to post a new thread with these problems

restoguy
06-08-2007, 19:30
I read through this post and thought I'd throw out a little something. I know it's a little late now, but did you remember to put a pilot bearing in the crank before you put it in the truck? You said that the engine came frome an auto truck so it probably didn't have one in it. Your imput shaft will be 'not long for this world' if you didn't put one in. I only bring this up because I swapped an 'auto' engine into a 'stick' pickup(gasser) a while back and forgot to do it. Luckily I had to pull the engine after only 50 miles for another, unrelated problem. Thats when I noticed what I had done! And I think I'm a pretty salty wrench jockey, not a shadetree mechanic.(I get paid for it.) Hope you didn't make the same mistake I did, but if you did, it's not too late to fix it.

mrbornery21
06-08-2007, 20:16
Thanks for the heads up, but Yes I put a pilot bearing in the crankshaft. I can see how it can be overlooked. I would have missed it if the new clutch kit didnt come with one. As this is the first manual trans truck I have played with.