PDA

View Full Version : TopKick Idiot Lights

RodeoDad
06-07-2007, 14:24
Okay.
Here is a link to the cluster idiot lights.
The circled ones are of question and cause.
It seems to happen when downshifting from 4th to 3rd going up hill.
Happens more often when hot 230 or so.
Tranny heats up to about 180-190.
Allison guys told me anything under 300 is okay for a 1000 RDS
These were the mechanics that rebuild them in LA.
I started driving this last june and have over 100k on it.
Everything was working till I took a month off and started again.

Link to cluster:
http://www.proamrodeo.com/tcs_wyoming/truckcluster.htm

If you want to speculate fine.
I use GMC's, I beat the crap out of them!
Envoy got 180K then started repair bills, junked it.
The GM mechanics told me 150K on an envoy I got 180K
The topkick I was told was designed to last 200K, I will put a new crate engine in it at 200K!
Right now I am just learning the capabilites of this outfit.
I am pretty well maxed out on everything as far as wt. and power goes.
Has a few braking issues when grossing 48K but it is do able even in heavy rush traffic.

I made it home.
The manual says the top light is a check gauges light indicating that there possible is something wrong with the oil pressure or the coolant. Apparently it means look at you gauges.
The middle light is reduce engine power light indicating that reduced power my be occurring.
The bottom light is the engine is going to shut down and it does light.
The only thing I can think of is that I use dual Amsoil filters and put a larger by pass filter in.
The engine is now down about a quart and the pressure seemed to be going up.
I suspect some oil pressure thing.

Mark Rinker
06-07-2007, 20:29
Hey RodeoDad - welcome aboard.

The Diesel Page is made up primarily of light duty GM diesel truck owners - but hopefully there will be more and more of us medium duty owners soon. I have owned 5 6.5L and 6.6L Duramax trucks, and bought a used Kodiak C4500 one week ago.

So - I don't know enough to have an answer for you, but have some questions, and a few requests as well:

Questions: What engine/trans do you have in your TopKick? What was your oil pressure gauge doing during these warnings? Going up? Seems strange if your temp was high it should be thinning and dropping. What was your max water temp?

Please add details on your truck, drivetrain, miles, etc. in your signature line. You can find the place to add this info under USER CP on the main menu.