PDA

View Full Version : engine swap info for LB7

CortrightsDogHouse
06-07-2007, 16:41
hello first of all thanks to everyone who responds to this message what im trying to find is a book or manuel on switching a 2003 engine with the same year engine this is in a 3500 model silverado there has to be some tricks out there that someone has i am taking a 2003 lb7 out and putting a 2003 lb7 back in are there any chevy tech's that would have a gm manual or a step by step illustration any info would be great thanks again

Duramaster
06-07-2007, 20:10
So you decided to junk the engine? Ok............. Replacing the DMAX engine is a big ordeal. The first one I replaced, I did without removing the core support, air-to-air cooler, condensor, trans cooler. I chewed the heck out of the firewall in doing so. The second one, I paid a little more attention to GM SI. SI says to remove: Entire core support including radiator, air-to-air, condensor, trans cooler, grille. SI also states to remove the lower oil pan for extra clearance. It actually makes a difference! Go to your local GM dealer and ask them for the complete instructions on the engine R & R. They can print it up for you on their GM PC. :cool:

Duramaster
06-07-2007, 20:42
Here is a picture of a 2006 LBZ that I replaced.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/index_1_.jpg

More Power
06-07-2007, 22:17
I installed the LB7 in Lil Red while the entire front clip was off the truck.... but keeping the fenders on your truck (like Duramaster suggested) would help to maintain the sheet metal alignment (door/fender gaps & hood fit, etc.).

Luckily, all of the electrical connectors in the engine compartment will only connect to its correct mate, but you might consider shooting lots of digital photos and label everything you disassemble - as you take it apart.

Groups of fasteners should be kept separate in a series of labeled paper cups.

A little organization will save you hours of work and a lot of frustration.

Take your time.... Good luck!

Jim

Mark Rinker
06-08-2007, 08:26
For those of you that didn't connect the dots...this is the <100 mile LB7 engine I sold on Ebay last week. Its been transported thousands of miles traveling from production to factory, factory to dealer, truck owner to marine shop as a fitment model, then Florida to Minnesota, now Minnesota to Oklahoma....but its only propelled itself down the road <100 miles.... :)

Duramaster
06-08-2007, 20:04
Does this "NEW" engine have the flywheel installed? If not, you will need eight new flywheel bolts and a big, big, 3/4 ratchet! :p

CortrightsDogHouse
06-09-2007, 16:27
i dont know if it does or not ill have to wait and see i went to my dealership they said they couldnt give out the info on changing motors if anyone can get it for me i would appericate it heck i would even buy it if i can find it :confused:

Mark Rinker
06-09-2007, 17:41
Flywheel included.

Duramaster
06-09-2007, 21:56
HOLY CRUD!!! :mad: I just can't believe the trouble you guys are having with your dealers!!! I will gladly print and mail the instructions to you. Keep in mind, it will be quite a lengthy print out. ;) When does your new engine arrive? What are you going to do with the old engine?

Dakster
06-10-2007, 05:49
Duramaster - Apparently you live in the land of helping the customer and the ideology that if you treat them right they will return and buy more new trucks and more parts from you and GM rather than jumping brands/dealers. In addition, they might actually get their vehicle serviced/warranty repairs done at your shop...

Some dealers if their isn't a buck in it for them, right now, they don't want anything to do with it. I bet the rationale behind not giving out the engine swap paperwork is that the "customer" will have to pay the dealer to do it for them...

** OFF RANT **

Having said all of that, I know several dealers that will go out of their way to make you happy in all parts of the country. A recent expereince at a GMC dealer in Williamsburg, VA, where I was on vacation was EXTREMELY positive. THe truck would shake/shimmy down the road at the TPMS was out. I was nervous about the 1,000 mile drive home. They fixed the problem, which was a broken TPMS, re-balanced the tires and gave me a new 2007 Tahoe to drive around for the day, while they did the work. All this and they new I was on vacation, probably never to return. I did fill out a very positive survey with deservingly positive comments written in, including the service advisors name. Hopefully this gets to the dealership.

One of my local dealers, who used to treat people who didn't buy their new vehicle from them as second class customers is now completely the opposite. The dealership nearly went bankrupt and new owners took over. Their mindset is now completely different. They want the service/warranty/parts dollars.

beeler
06-10-2007, 08:31
I wish there were more dealers and techs that care about the customer. The service or lack of it is part of the reason I can't get all that excited about a new rig. It's not the $$$ for the trade. I could buy new without payments if I wanted to. The fact is that new rigs often have issuses. The injectors on my 02 made the facts clear. I did find a dealer that tretaed me very well but it is a 100 mile drive one way. It took 2 trips with the truck and 2 trips in the wifes sub to get it done. 800 miles total and alot of time. This time of year we aren't too busy so it's not a big deal but other times it could be ugly.

A buddy with a new Chev had tranny problems. GM made the dealer pull down the tranny and find out what it needed. Since it was under a certain $$ amount they had to rebuild it instead of replacing. Took over a month with the teardown, waiting for parts, etc. If you have to have a extra rig to keep you on the road the warranty is useless.

Duramaster
06-10-2007, 10:37
Well Dakster, there always is the old saying "Pay me now or Pay me Later!" and sometimes that's true. That is why I asked if this particular engine still had a flywheel on it. The torqueing procedure requires a couple of special tools. And yes, sometimes my foreman won't give out info to the customer. But I think that it is a matter of not having enough time on their hands. Customer attitude also helps. If the customer comes in demanding the world.................. well you know what that gets you. ;) We have a customer that visits us regularly (purchases new trucks from us) who lives 60 + miles away. He doesn't like his local dealership. I guess they just have poor customer relations? When I first started @ DSU www.dsutrucks.com/mech.htm

(That's me in the blue coveralls testing injector return volume on a 8.1 GAS engine LOL! :D They needed a picture. I said ok, this might look good as long as no one notices.) :D :D :D some of the old timers said that we had customers driving from all corners of the state!! I thought WOW!! I also said WOW the first time I saw AIR brake shoes on a garbage truck! They're HUGE!! :eek:

Anyway, at my dealership, we give out a ton of information............ FREE!!! Some of it we shouldn't give out and a lot of it is money out the door, but hopefully, the customer returns for that part they need or even service when they just can't figure it out.:D

Mark Rinker
06-10-2007, 16:33
...or in my case - when they get it apart and can't get it back together! :)

Dakster
06-10-2007, 18:39
Duramaster - Thanks for the info.

Beeler,

A new truck, under two years old down for a month to me is a buyback with me getting a new truck. All states have laws to protect against downtime on a new vehicle. Granted, someone that works using their truck this is a major PITA and could cost them a ton of money.

Fortunately, I don't feed my family using my truck and although the rental is never close, at least its a ride. My truck down this year or next will be a major PITA to me, because I finally settled my Hurricane Katrina claim with the insurance company. I am using it to rebuild my house! BTW, you will have this problem and issue with EVERY BRAND OF VEHICLE sold - not just GM.

CortrightsDogHouse
06-10-2007, 19:27
I am so glad to have found this web site everyone here has been so helpful and you guys dont know me from adam it was well worth the money to join I will be a member here for a long time and if anyone out there ever needs anything i will be more than glad to help if your driving thru and need a place to sleep just give me a call if you need anytype of exhaust work or info let me know i have owned my own shop for almost 12 years now any member can get parts at cost + shipping ....... as for my dealership i asked them to put the new motor in and they said no cause i didnt buy it from them at a little over 8 thousand for a long block they said by law they cant give me the r&r engine paperwork (guess its top secret) as for the old engine i have no ideal might take it apart to learn about the engine see if there is any damage if not try to get some of my money back I hope ebays lawyers will get me a little back they are suppose to go after the guy

beeler
06-10-2007, 19:50
BTW, you will have this problem and issue with EVERY BRAND OF VEHICLE sold - not just GM.

I know that very well. I've had two rigs that were junk out of the box. One Ford and one Chevy. The Chev was a 96 6.5 diesel. Chevy bought it back. It litterally lived in the shop. If I didn't need it for a few days it was there so they could diagnose or fix. That was when the local dealer had a service dept that gave a crap. Now if there is no code or parts on the ground it's normal. I think the service writer is a robot programmed to say "That's normal, they all do that" no matter what the problem is. They sell both Fords and GMs so it's a minimum 40 mile drive to the next dealer.

CortrightsDogHouse
06-14-2007, 09:20
ok just to let everyone know that the paperwork that i asked for is on its way just wanted to say thank you to everyone and a very special thanks to the person who got the paperwork for me now if i could just get him to put the engine in for me :D everything would be perfect thanks again dennis