PDA

View Full Version : New injetors are installed

beeler
06-08-2007, 13:45
I got the new injectors installed this week. See the smoke at idle thread for details. Rig runs much smoother and quieter. It has always had more diesel rattle than most Dmaxes but it might be quieter than when it was new. It's so different that I can't judge speed without looking at the speedo and can hear the exhaust over the engine noise at 70-80 mph.

Duramaster
06-08-2007, 20:01
Runs like a new truck huh BEELER? I just did one today. Truck had 98000 miles on it. Runs like a champ now! :D

Dakster
06-09-2007, 05:41
Talk about getting in just under the 100k warranty... Glad to hear both are running great.

beeler
06-09-2007, 16:25
It does feel good to have it back to the way it's supposed to be. The dealer that did the repair was great to work with. I'm still ticked at it though. One more strike and it's probably down the rode. I don't keep rigs when they have to spend time in the shop or don't run right. Problem is I don't know what I'd replace it with. Hopefully it'll run good for long enough for me to forgive it.

NutNbutGMC
06-09-2007, 18:46
It will happen again and again. I am on the third "again" set.

2002 GMC

Dakster
06-09-2007, 19:30
It does feel good to have it back to the way it's supposed to be. The dealer that did the repair was great to work with. I'm still ticked at it though. One more strike and it's probably down the rode. I don't keep rigs when they have to spend time in the shop or don't run right. Problem is I don't know what I'd replace it with. Hopefully it'll run good for long enough for me to forgive it.

I agree with you on getting rid of a problem vehicle. And how about replacing it with a new truck? I know no truck payment is nice, but sometimes you have to pay for piece of mind...

Duramaster
06-09-2007, 22:00
LOL "again".............. I had a customer that I personally replaced his "INJECTORS" (8 at a time, not onesies twosies) at least five times. It was a medium duty truck that he used for hotshot hauling. He ended up with over 300,000 miles on it before it was repossesed. :o

Dakster
06-10-2007, 05:29
I bet the bank wasn't so thrilled to have a 300,000 mile truck on their hands... While it is is STILL a Diesel, I bet the value still isn't high on a 300k mile truck. I know I would not be looking at it. Especially if used as a "Hotshot Hauler."

NutNbutGMC
06-10-2007, 12:10
LOL "again".............. I had a customer that I personally replaced his "INJECTORS" (8 at a time, not onesies twosies) at least five times. It was a medium duty truck that he used for hotshot hauling. He ended up with over 300,000 miles on it before it was repossesed. :oI am glad one person reaped the benefits of your availability. Five times is almost funny....

The 01 - 02 injectors suck. Plain and simple.... Each to their own. Said customer didn't have much value on his down time. LOL.....

It will happen again....

Duramaster
06-10-2007, 12:19
Yeah but that truck was a 2003 C-4500. Keep in mind the LB7 was in service until the latter part of 2004. GM TAC has stated before that the replacement injectors won't have the cracked body issues like the earlier ones did, but the injectors still have the balance rate issues and hard start problems. :D

Dakster
06-10-2007, 18:30
Duramaster,

What is opinion on why diesel injectors have a high failure rate and gas ones don't. You rarely hear of a gas motor losing injectors. This seems to be a problem with ALL BRANDS of Diesel Truck Motors, not just GM...

My personal opinion is it has to do with the high pressure they operate under. Unfortunately this seems to be a Diesel achille's heel. Some of this I am sure also has to do with the fact that a Diesel motor lasts longer than gassers (on average).

Although it looks as though GM has engineered this weakness out. (I hope even more so with the LMM)

Duramaster
06-10-2007, 19:14
My opinion is fuel quality! As you can see, I don't personally own a diesel powered vehicle........... I never had the need for one until this last year. My wife and I bought a 27' Wildwood T/T. We love it! We are currently towing with the Suburban, last summer we were towing with a 3/4 ton pickup with a Vortec 350. Anyway, one of the GM GURU's at the training center once said that fuel samples from the northwest were sent to GM for testing. The immediate response was "YOU GUYS BURN THIS STUFF?" The old timers here at the shop have always said that the Pacific NW area is the dumping grounds for poor quality fuel. Of course I can't prrove that. I just know what I have been told. It seems to me that the "North Slope" is always mentioned when referring to diesel fuel refinement around here. I don't know what they are refering to. :confused: I never really asked.

Anyway, I agree.... High pressure and ultra fine particles in the fuel do not mix very well. I was just in a Emerging Issue class put on by GM. They talked about the new DMAX and the current fuel filter. The new filter is a 4-5 micron filter. I also found a bulletin on the GM website about a new Primary filter available for the 2001 - 2007 C/K Classic pickups and medium duty trucks. I only know that dealer cost is about $267. I have not seen a picture of it yet, but I requested for pics to be displayed on the GM Technician Forum. If any are posted, I will post them here. All I can tell you is that it is a RACOR unit approved by GM. :)

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2007, 21:34
Duramaster,

What is opinion on why diesel injectors have a high failure rate and gas ones don't. You rarely hear of a gas motor losing injectors. This seems to be a problem with ALL BRANDS of Diesel Truck Motors, not just GM...

My personal opinion is it has to do with the high pressure they operate under. Unfortunately this seems to be a Diesel achille's heel. Some of this I am sure also has to do with the fact that a Diesel motor lasts longer than gassers (on average).

Although it looks as though GM has engineered this weakness out. (I hope even more so with the LMM)

"High pressure" for a gasser injector is about 80 PSI.

Your Duramax "high pressure" is at about 23,000 PSI for early models, and about 26,000 PSI for later models. That's right.......3 zeros, after the comma.

The balance is delicate, but can be achieved. It doesn't leave much room for error, though.

Duramaster
06-11-2007, 20:51
Ok, I got a reply from one of the GM Techs that have installed one of these kits. From what I was told, it installs ahead of the fuel cooler. Here is a link................... :D

www.parker.com/racor/Prodbul/fuel/7605-GMC2500HD.pdf

gmdieseldan
06-12-2007, 08:07
Hi all before you replace the injectors check your fuel filter. I have a new low miles duramax, 20000. I changed the fuel filter. I ran fine for two months. then it started to take longer and longer to start for next two weeks. one day I had to go to town one day it toke a long time to start. I open the hood and open the bleeder all this air came out, closed the bleeder pumped the little pump I herd a hissing the seal on top was bad. DAN

Dakster
06-12-2007, 16:52
While we are on the fuel quality issue. I noticed that Racor also has a diesel treatment that is "GM Approved."

Is stanadyne GM approved? Not that I am hooked on one supplement, but I happen to have bought a case of it awhile ago and still have some left that I would like to use before buying anything else...

DmaxMaverick
06-12-2007, 17:01
While we are on the fuel quality issue. I noticed that Racor also has a diesel treatment that is "GM Approved."

Is stanadyne GM approved? Not that I am hooked on one supplement, but I happen to have bought a case of it awhile ago and still have some left that I would like to use before buying anything else...
Stanadyne is GM approved. It's my opinion it has NOTHING to do with quality or performance. Stanadyne supplied GM with injection systems and fuel filters. Despite the fiasco with GM/Stanadyne, they continue to associate. Racor supplies GM with fuel filtration systems. I read these as no more than one company sleeping with the other. With the way the businesses work these days, it is necessary (for them). In reality, the non-GM products have more of a motive to provide a quality product. There's virtually no competition for Stanadyne or Racor, so what motivation do they have to provide a product that exceeds GM's spec? There are lots of quality products not endorsed by GM, and have no affiliation with GM, but that doesn't discount their quality. A GM endorsement is not required to retain warranty coverage. You have to look at the individual product, and decide whether or not it violates GM's warranty policy, at a more basic level.

Dakster
06-13-2007, 17:24
Duramaster,

I whole heartedly agree with you on the "endorsement" issue. This seems to go along with motor oils that meet certain specs as well. Many high quality oils don't have all the specs because they refuse to make the extortion payment to the endorsement body. Miami-Dade county is like this with building materials. I know several window companies that have a better product then the ones that "are approved in miami-dade county", but I can't install them because they are not "Approved." Approval is a tricky and expensive process that many manufacturers won't take a gamble on making their money back on.

However, knowing that the manfucaturer isn't against a product and I like the product is always a bonus...

jharden1
06-14-2007, 07:18
While were off topic, do you have to worry about additives poisoning the DPF on the LMM?

Duramaster
06-14-2007, 11:02
Stanadyne is "Formultaed for Ultra Low Sulfur" as it is stated on the bottle!! :D

Approved by manufacturers for all injection systems. :D

Stanadyne P/N 38565

jharden1
06-14-2007, 11:13
Stanadyne is "Formultaed for Ultra Low Sulfur" as it is stated on the bottle!! :D

Approved by manufacturers for all injection systems. :D

Stanadyne P/N 38565

Got it! Thank you.