PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch issues

fourtenposi
06-08-2007, 21:12
I have a 2005 GMC 2500 HD D/A with about 32000 miles on it. The hole for the reciever pin has become elongated. At times I can feel it moving back and forth while towing. I pull a 9500 pound enclosed trailer with a weigh distribution hitch. Has anyone else had this issue, and will the dealer replace the hitch under warranty for this?

Thanks in advance.

Luis
06-10-2007, 06:41
I've read about this in the past. Not sure of all the details or if the dealer will cover replacement. Check the size of the pin that secures the ball mount in the reciever. If it is not the proper diamater (too small) it will cause the ball mount to slide back and forth which causes the elongation. Not sure if any fix is available after damage is done except replacement of the reciever. If you do replace reciever go with a heavier class IV rating.

fourtenposi
06-10-2007, 18:56
It is already a class V hitch rated for 12k with the weight distribution. The pin fit fine at first, it was actually a bit on the tight side. Aren't all the pin sizes the same for that size hitch?

letsgo
06-11-2007, 20:13
Tack (tig) weld 2 tempered (cup) washers 3/16" thick, either side of the receiver, you have to limit the heat or the washer will loose its temper.

washers for electrical buss ductwould work.

good luck