PDA

View Full Version : total newbie to diesels

rfmiller2
06-09-2007, 09:47
I bought a 2007 Classic Silverado LT3 Crew cab with the Duramax a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. Does the VIN number tell me whether I have the LBZ or LMM? Also, is it worth changing anything on this truck in regards to exhaust and intake systems.....chips. Again, I'm just a newbie and probably will just stay stock and enjoy for it now.

Dakster
06-09-2007, 11:08
The VIN number would, but when you said "classic" that means you have an LBZ. You don't have an LMM. You don't have to worry about regens and always having to get Ultra-Low-Sulfur-Diesel.

Although, I bet right now you'd have a hard time finding anything else in the USA at retail level.

Continue to read up. Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt and figure out what is best for you. Some GM Diesel Techs are on the site and are very helpful. READ THE MANUAL that came with your truck, find and learn how to do things like drain water out of the fuel/water separator, prime the fuel system, change filters, etc... while it is daylight and you are in your driveway. It isn't fun to learn while on the side of the interstate at 2am.

I like to keep spare fuel, air, and oil filters and some basic hand tools. I also keep paper towels, hand cleaner, rubber gloves, and regular cotton towels. BTW, I kept the same bag for my GAS SUV's, its not just a diesel thing.

Not that I have had to use anything other than a screwdriver to change a blown brake light in my life, but better safe than sorry.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new truck like I enjoy mine....