PDA

View Full Version : Stud Girdle Kit

Shikaroka
06-11-2007, 09:55
DSG Kit (http://www.dieselservices.com/html/gm_diesel/6_5_Turbo_Diesel/gm-diesel-special/stud_girdle_kit_p78.cfm)

How effective is this kit?
Would it benefit any to add it to an engine that already has alot of miles on it?
Can you put this on, when the engine still in the truck?

tommac95
06-11-2007, 20:09
I believe it is considered a reasonable insurance, and has been installed in some vehicles with engine still installed.
It's not as secure as splayed mains , but doesn't require engine removal/dismantling , generally.

Cowracer
06-13-2007, 09:57
Personally, I think it does a world of good.

I am of the opinion that its not lateral loads (up and down in line with the bolts) that tears up the blocks, It rocking (moving the bottom of the caps fore and aft), that stresses the block metal and causes fatigue.

Tying the caps together stiffens the whole assy. and helps minimize the rocking of the caps. Others will disagree, but I stand by my opinion.

Tim

Shikaroka
06-14-2007, 10:16
Thanks guys!
So, has anyone here used these?
Do you think you can put the kit on, without removing the engine? Can you pull out the oil pan without yanking the motor?

I plan on regearing the front end, one of these days. So, maybe that would be a good time, since the front differential would be out of the way.

arveetek
06-14-2007, 11:27
I have one on my '82 engine in my '81 truck. I installed it when I rebuilt the engine in May of '05. I didn't have any cracks on the block and wanted to keep it that way. I'm not convinced of how much it really helps, but I figure that it's better than nothing, and a heckofa lot cheaper than splayed mains.

You shouldn't have any trouble installing it with the engine in the vehicle.

Casey