PDA

View Full Version : Oil Drip

skorgen
06-11-2007, 11:07
I noticed a small drop of oil on the back end of what I assume is part of the transmission where it joins the drive shaft (there seems to be a black plastic or rubber part there). It's not actually dripping and the truck is working fine. Anybody have any idea if this is something I should just keep an eye on or have serviced.

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2007, 11:23
You may have dodged a bullet!

Have a look at THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=19716) (sticky at the top of this forum) for info on transfer case leak repair. If that drip is the rear case (pump housing), it will increase until all the fluid leaves, and grenades the TC. DON'T DRIVE IT UNTIL FIXED!!

If your truck is 2wd (you didn't state), it could as simple as a rear tranny seal, which is a simple and cheap fix.

BTW:
GM doesn't make a "Super Crew". That would be the other brand.....
Around here, we just call it a "Crew Cab":) Not that it really matters.....

skorgen
06-12-2007, 07:20
Thanks. Re: the signature -What was I thinking!!

Does the transmission oil dipstick on the back of the engine also reflect oil in the transfer case?

DmaxMaverick
06-12-2007, 13:19
The dipstick is ONLY for the tranny. The TC is standard gearbox form. Remove the fill plug and poke in a finger (not while it's hot!). It should be at or just below the fill hole. Total capacity is only ~2 qts, so it doesn't take much leakage to run it dry.