PDA

View Full Version : 10 amp battery drain

Gym
06-11-2007, 13:31
I have come to realize that i have a severe 10 amp drain on my batteries. I have identified the wire on a terminal strip mounted on the firewall. (Passenger side) The red wire drops down into a wire bundle that passes thru the firewall on the passenger side and enters the cab behind the glovebox. There is a connector there and I have been able to identfy that the draw is on the cab side of that connection. That heavy red wire follows a bundle across the dash over towards the fuses. Thats where it gets interesting because everything is sooo tight and taped up and so inexcessable that I have kindof given up. Anybody got any ideas? Truly frustrated!!! This is on my 94 Suburban with the 6.5.

Robyn
06-11-2007, 16:21
Try hooking up an amp meter to the wire so you can monitor the draw and then unplug fuses one at a time until the draw quits. Bingo.

Has to be an accessory of some sort and probably not a short or you would be having maximum smoke.

Or you could break the wire and see what quits. :D

Gym
06-11-2007, 17:08
Thanks for your ideas. I did try disconnecting each wire individually from the terminal strip and each time I did, the engine killed.
I did read a volt meter off the battery an disconnected one fuse at a time. Couldn't determine any difference at that time. never used a amp meter on that test.
I brought the vehicle in this afternoon to a auto electric diagnostic shop here in Anchorage. I will keep you posted on what they find.

Gym
06-14-2007, 10:49
Got the suburban back on wed morn. Made me feel kinda good that maybe I'm not the complete idiot with electrics that I thought I was because the shop could'nt find the drain either. The guy spent 4 hours digging and could not pinpoint the source. Didn't charge me a dime cause he could'nt find it. He did sell me a device that I hooked up to my battery and it senses when the battery voltage drops to 11.6. At that point it disconnects the battery to prevent further drain. By pressing the brake pedal, it connects the battery again and ready for starting. I know it's a bandaid fix, but it will allow me to drive the truck and work on it at leisure. What puzzles me about this whole thing is why I can't find a wiring diagram that clearly shows me EACH WIRE and where it leads to from that terminal strip on the passenger side fire wall. I know one goes to the glow plug relay. One for the lift pump relay. They don't show the draw. It's the others that are not clearly identified on the wiring diagrams that I can't identify and one of them has a 10 amp draw. It follows a wire loom down and passes thru the fire wall on the passenger side coming in next to the ecm. It has a connector there that when disconnected the draw goes away. Connected again the drw comes back. That RED WIRE follows along the dash towards the driver side (all in a wire loom). I don't know where it goes and I can't access much because the dash prevents access. Remember, I've checked each fuse for draw and found nothing. Anybody with any ideas? 1994 Suburban

DmaxMaverick
06-14-2007, 11:05
For complete wiring diagrams, try www.alldatadiy.com . I use this for several vehicles and the diagrams are more than just complete. Connector locations and views, ID numbers, and routing are handy for this.

Gym
06-18-2007, 15:10
Thanks! I'll check it out. Gym