PDA

View Full Version : HELP - No Start !

MTTwister
06-14-2007, 17:54
at 3pm I fired it up and drove back up to work. At 5:15 I'm ready to head home. Ignition key to "run - it goes through the wait to start routine. I give it another 10 sec of glow, and turn the key to start - Nothing! just the click of the key . No tools, etc of course. Got wife to pick me up, truck's uptown.

I have installed the Ford Starter Relay 'system".

Could it be: Starter? ( I had a monte carlo where the starter brushes wore out and the springs grounded on the commutator. Same symptoms - all of a suden it didn't work) . If so , are the brushes replacable? In situ ( hah) or pull the starter anyway.
How bad ( hard) is a starter replacement job? by one guy.

Igintion module? it's a '96 - I think theres supposed to be a module driven by arod from the iginition key.. No clue where to look.

Or , of course, the Ford Starter relay, that would be the easiest to test.

I'm going to go dig out the manuals, and look through the member info, but also thoguth I do the panic post first.

Thanks for Any Help!

Robyn
06-14-2007, 18:57
Try jumpering the primary terminal (small one) of the Ford relay to the hot terminal and see if you get the starter to go.
You can do that with only a scew driver.

let us know

Robyn

MTTwister
06-14-2007, 20:08
Once I try that - ( of course, I pput the hot terminal on the far side of the relay - next to the air box to reduce possibilities of shorting anything ) and not sure when the Heck - maybe lunch time tomorrow - Have you ever pulled the brush carrier off a starter while it was bolted in place - to replace the brushes? probably dumb idea, but what the hay.... :p
How heavy are these things?

Have you ever done the ole jump start - with an automatic - getting it up to - what - 30mph and slapping it into gear? Would have to have the glow cycle done, then drop it into 1st /2nd? Does that even work with a diesel?
Thanks Robyn/Tomw

MTTwister
06-15-2007, 08:59
This morning on the way in to work, I tried jumping the terminals.
First the battery to the starter term on the relay, with a jumper wire, then the pliers. Nada.
Used the handles of a pair of wire cutter pliers to make contact on the two Cable terminals of the relay- and I'm assuming that they were "continuous".
Then the Battery to the Starter Cable terminal - NADA.
So I guessing it's the dang Starter. I'm speculating that one or more brushes have worn down and grounded out.

How bad a job is getting the starter out?
Can you really replace the brushes? - looks like it in the shop manuals.
Then again, maybe I should exercise my tow coverage, suck it up, and have Butte GM work on it.. Dang.

edit : Parts update - New GM Starter dealer - $476.15, No replacement brushes. .
NAPA - Brushes - $22.45 New (not rebuilt) starter $250.
Stacks Electronics - (they rebuild starters, alternators etc - in town ) Brush set - $10 , New Starter ( not rebuilt) $273..
So, guess I Get the Brushes, and the spare starter,just in case, and rip into it...

Another EDIT - What wrenches do I need to get to the Terminals on the Starter. I should "know", since I did the remote Ford Relay thing - but I'll have to bring all the garage tools up the stinking hill..

tommac95
06-15-2007, 19:54
>What wrenches do I need to get to the Terminals on the Starter

i vaguely recall the rear bracket bolt hex is 12 or 13 mm , down to maybe 9mm for smallest wire ??

I'd try tapping starter hsg to jostle brushes onto commutator, maybe start and go home.
You've ascertained the batteries are OK... loads like lights and fan work fine , yes??
And fuses, as ECM1 or whatever, are intact?

MTTwister
06-16-2007, 11:21
Just thought about tapping the starter last night -- duhhh. fingers crossed.
Haven't checked fuses - will do that too. And hope I have some spares ;)

Well - here's the deal - Before I ripped into it - I checked fuses - all ok. Then for some reason I broke out the 12 v test lamp - battery terminal hot. good. Home made lead from + terminal to the Ford Starter Relay - Nada - deader than heck. Undid the wiring to get the ign "trigger" wire back on the starter - Fired right up. Got home and checked the "crimp" rings . One was a "high-tech" heavy duty - heat the built in solder and crimp - A piece of junk - would pass the wiggle test tho. Remade the end with the O-Ring - now need to get back out and re-wire the Ford Starter relay setup. Glad I didn't have to drop the starter!.
Have a good weekend all!