PDA

View Full Version : Gas put into fuel tank

aztraveler
06-14-2007, 21:04
I am new here. I am buying a Chevy 2500 CC 4WD with the LBZ. The dealer was picking the truck up from another dealer and the driver put gas into the fuel tank. They said he pulled over after he realized what he did and parked until the dealers tow truck hauled it to his shop to drain the system. The dealer was nice enough to call me and tell me what happened. I don't know if there was any damage or not but I told the dealer I wanted another truck. When you buy something this expensive I don't want to worry about damage before I even buy the truck. Do you experts agree or am I over reacting?

DmaxMaverick
06-14-2007, 21:37
Welcome to the Forums!

Not to worry. Gas is not a serious thing, in most cases. If it were, there would be a whole bunch of dead trucks all over the country. The dealer did right by towing in and draining the system. There should be no long term damage. Usually, by the time there is enough in the system to cause damage, running will suffer, and the computer will have a fit. If it runs fine afterward, it's fine. Just make sure they document the incident in your paperwork. You can always come back to it if you have problems later (I doubt you will).

Enjoy your new truck!

Duramaster
06-14-2007, 21:49
The way I deal with that type of situation is remove the fuel tank and siphon all fuel from the tank, remove the fuel filter, disconnect fuel supply and return lines from the engine and blow all fuel out of them with compressed air, reinstall fuel tank, install new filter with STANADYNE in the filter, add remaining stanadyne treatment and fresh fuel to the tank, Prime and go!! :D

aztraveler
06-15-2007, 05:40
Thank you for the replies. I thought about taking the truck after they put the gas in but my wife flatout said no. I know I used to put a gallon of gas in my ford 6.9 to prevent gelling but to put stright gas in without adding additional lubricant I was not sure about.