PDA

View Full Version : Please help me... No Start

rayray911
06-14-2007, 21:52
Hello, I bought a 1996 6.5 Tubo Diesel about a month ago, it only has 113,00 miles on it. I drove it to PT a few days ago, and it started fine , drove there fine. When I went to leave it would crank over and over with no start. I called my Dad who is a diesel guy and he tried to walk me through it. And was coming to visit us on the base in a week. I had to have it towed to the house. Well he got here, and we have this thing torn down really big. We have check all the fuses, the fuel shutoof, changes filter first. We have fuel t the pump , and took front cover off and it is all turning just fine.... Can anyone please help, he will be leaving in a few days and I do need his help to fix his thing....

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

PS , what is the other electronic hookup on the fuel injection pump on the top? also what is PMD?

Jesse Underwood

Robyn
06-14-2007, 22:33
The PMD is the little black box on the drivers side of the Injector pump. This unit is notorious for going away. The PMD should be mounted on a remote and cooler spot away from the engine heat.
You can read elsewhere on this site about such things.

Have you checked for any codes??

Could be the PMD died but you really need to get it scanned for trouble codes

let us know

Robyn

rayray911
06-15-2007, 11:31
Thank you, for your quick response, is the PMD? the hook up on the injection pump, there is two hook ups on the injection the fuel shutoff and the not sure what the other one was, is that the PMD? I am new to this , sorry for my stupidness , not sure of this....

How can I get the codes read? I cannot carry it anywhere..

Just need some help....

I am a jet engine mechanic but, confused on diesel..

Thank You

gmctd
06-15-2007, 19:11
Pump Mounted Driver is the black module on the driver's-side of the IP - it's a known slacker.

Stuff on the top is the 2-wire Engine ShutOff solenoid for fuel shutoff, and the 6-wire Optical Sensor for hi-res and cam timing and fuel temperature.

The ESO and PMD are powered by the ECM-1 fuse in the under-hood fuse center, thru the Ign sw, also a known slacker - symptom will be no WTS, no instrument panel, but will crank.

If you got WTS and instrument panel, open the water-drain valve on the t-stat crossover, turn on the IGN sw, and fuel should pour outta the hose under the truck for a few seconds - if not, you gotta bad lift pump, back on the inside framerail under the driver's seat,

If got fuel, check the fuel filter for dirty - if ok, unplug the OS connector so PCM will go into limp mode and try a start - may take 15-30 seconds of crank B4 it starts.

If it will not start, the PMD, also called the Fuel Solenoid Driver, may be slackin' off on you - it is replaceable and can be remote-mounted on a heatsink - check Bill Heath Diesel for a very good setup, with 7-year warranty.

Check that stuff out, and post your results back here.

And, welcome to the 'Page, ray............

rayray911
06-16-2007, 23:24
Found out Yesterday that the Injection pump is still under warranty until Aug , it has 113,000 and under the years.... AWESOME!!!!

Anything I need to to do before I take it to them????

Jesse

gmctd
06-17-2007, 08:56
Yep - replace the air filter and fuel filter, and clean out the filter cannister - if ya don't, you'll get the bill for the IP and labor, no warranty.

After the cannister is clean and the filter is installed, open the top bleed, put the trans in DRIVE, turn on the IGN switch to bleed the air - soon's fuel starts pouring clear, close the bleed, wipe up the fuel, crank it up, and yer good to go.