PDA

View Full Version : 03 Lb7 & Ulsd

Toasty
06-14-2007, 23:02
Hey everybody, i'm new around here.

I'm actually looking to pick your brains on behalf of my inlaws. They have a 2003 2500HD Duramax (which from what I gather on here is an LB7 code engine) They travel full time with a 5th wheel. no major problems to report, however since they have started to be using the ULSD (the only thing available most places they go now) the truck smokes alot, typically when idling. I know they have been using an additive for lubricity, and that helped some, but it is still going on. oddly enough, it is not happening constantly. a few weeks back, it was happening quite a bit one day, so they stopped by the local chevy dealer, parked and went inside to get someone to look at it. when they came out and started again, no smoking....

any ideas if there is something they can do? the truck is pretty much bone stock, no aftermarket exhaust/chip/etc etc. I'm not sure what kind of additive they are using, going to see if i can find out.

Duramaster
06-14-2007, 23:16
Next time it smokes, take it to a dealer and have them scan it (don't shut the engine down until after it is scanned)! Sounds like the injector balance rates are out of spec. Of course check the fuel and air filters. :)

Toasty
06-14-2007, 23:31
Next time it smokes, take it to a dealer and have them scan it (don't shut the engine down until after it is scanned)! Sounds like the injector balance rates are out of spec. Of course check the fuel and air filters. :)

would this be pointing to bad injectors, that might then be covered by the now extended warranty? (or are the balance rates programmable??)

Duramaster
06-15-2007, 06:47
Yes, it would point towards bad injectors (providing the engine is mechanicly sound) and no, the balance rates are not programmable.

DMAX-HD
06-15-2007, 07:32
What color is the smoke? If its white it more then likely an injector

Toasty
06-15-2007, 07:34
I'm checking on the smoke color, but i believe it isnt white, but the vehicle is mechanically sound otherwise. they take good care of it. --i did see other posts regarding injectors and blue smoke, so still seems like it could be the issue

Duramaster
06-15-2007, 08:12
:D I know someone that does good work! :D

Toasty
06-15-2007, 10:59
:D I know someone that does good work! :D

you work @ a dealer somewheres?

unless there is a better alternative (good reccomendation) , i would expect the work to be done either in Walla Walla, WA, Wichita, KS, Louisville, KY, or Bolingbrook, IL (those are the places that they have family that they would be stationed around)

Duramaster
06-15-2007, 11:18
:D Next time that they are in the Portland, Oregon area they can come here...............

http://www.dsutrucks.com/

That is where I work. :D