PDA

View Full Version : Need to purchase OBDII diagnostic reader HELP

JFerg65
06-16-2007, 19:15
My 96 suburban has an intermittent service engine light, that is now on. So it looks like I need to purchase a code reader for my own sanity. I tried the search but was just more confused. I really could use some help. I know aboslutely zilch about this.

Thanks

gmctd
06-16-2007, 23:09
Harbor Freight has an OBD2 reader-only for 59.95, usually on sale for 39.95.

Carcode is an OBD2 pcware scantool for your laptop, reads everything and controls most everything, does all the stuff the Tech2 does.

Autoengineuity is another, does everything.

Check with Kennedy Diesel or Wester's in Canada for more options.

JFerg65
06-17-2007, 08:50
OUTSTANDING!!!! Thanks for the info, that will get me headed in the right direction. If I'm looking for something to just get the codes out, will the 59.00 option meet my needs? Do the other pc based units result in giving more specific diagnostics once a code is thrown? I'd gladly spend the few extra bucks if the pc based code reader / software narrows down the hunt for what is going on with the truck.

Thanks again

Shikaroka
06-18-2007, 10:16
The PC based systems are great to have, as I have the Carcode system. www.obd-2.com
But, if you just want the codes quick, a lot of the local parts places will scan your vehicle for free. Do you have an AutoZone near by, I know they do it.

gmctd
06-18-2007, 11:54
The 59buck version just displays the DTS digitally - you get 0236 for 0236, and the manual gives the several failures under that code

The pcware scantools do all the things the GM Tech2 does - from simple displaying the codes, to clearing them, to looking at the actual part that is causing the fail - not bad for less than 250bucks - the Tech2 is 5600bucks

JFerg65
06-18-2007, 15:23
Thank you for the additional feedback. It sounds like the extra $$$$ will be money well spent. I think that is the direction I will head. Now wouldn't you know it the engine light went out again.

tigertom
06-18-2007, 18:34
might look at http://www.autotap.com Runs on most any PC, laptop or pda.
My friend has had one for several years and swears by it!
tiger sends