PDA

View Full Version : Dually Conversion

6.5 Detroit Diesel
06-18-2007, 17:54
I am planning a dually conversion for my 93' 2500HD. I was wondering about the rear axle. It's a 14 bolt FF and to the best of my knowledge, the same axle is used on dually's. What would I need to convert to accept dually rims? Do I just need different studs on this axle? Also, is the frame different between the 2500HD and a 1-Ton? The box going on is from a 1997.

redbird2
06-19-2007, 06:10
the frames are the same, however the hubs are different, they use different offset to put the wheels in the proper place. there are companies out there that off adapter kits to take care off this problem I had a customer several years ago use a set of them on a F250 to make it a dually they seemed to work fine for him. I have no idea what they cost. the fast option is to just pick up a dually axle and bolt up? sorry your so far away I have extra 4.10 axle dually axle setting out here I do have a set of spare hubs and drums however I would put on new drums and brakes while you have it a part
good luck.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
06-25-2007, 18:20
So, just wondering if....the drums HAVE to be changed. The current ones I have still have a lot of thickness left on them. I have the new pads already. It would be nice if all I had to do was get the hubs.

Kevin
07-09-2007, 10:06
The front end needs adaptors. The rear end needs the dualley brake drums axles & hubs.

I am going the other way & the front worked good. Now the back is not spaced right, so I looking for the parts to get my right.

oldmechanic
07-11-2007, 16:04
the distance from backing plate to end of axle is longer so you would have to change the whole assembly. there is a spacer kit available but it puts a lot of strain on wheel studs

cecil

6.5 Detroit Diesel
07-11-2007, 21:16
Just wondering why the front end has to be changed. What is the reason for not using the original wheel.

roclongrider
07-16-2007, 08:08
Arrowcraft Industries has been in the spacer business along time, 30 years maybe. I bought some from them back in '78 for a '74 F-250 I converted. The truck and spacers are still going almost 30 years later with zero problems. Its used as a tow truck with a Holmes wrecker unit on it. It hasn't been babied!!

Most folks that do change the front end over do it either for looks, so it looks like a true dually, or because they don't have to carry 2 different spares.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
07-23-2007, 07:38
Going ahead with the conversion. My buddy and I located a 88' Dually. The guy says it nots running due to wiring issues and is rusted all out. But the tranny, engine, and the rest of the running gear is all good. The best part is the price. The guy wants $200 for us to come and tow it away. All the rims are there with two new tires on the front. I am thinking of just swapping in the whole rearend as I have heard that it isn't the best idea to use the conversion parts. Not mention the price........ :D