PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and question?

BradField
06-18-2007, 23:21
New member, and new owner of a '96 2500 auto, just purchased the truck, and on first outing it throughs the P0236 code. From the local Schucks I've been told that this is the "turbo" sensor. I would like some more in depth info from you experts, and where I should start to fix the problem. This is my very first diesel, and I hope to have it for a very long time. Has 151,000 on it, fuel pump was just replaced, and I also know the mechanic that has performed all the work on the truck since new. Is there a dealer that sells parts at a really great rate, say 10% over cost, or a recomended dealer by you guys?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

BradField
06-18-2007, 23:25
In addition I would like to know if there are any "reliability" mods that I should perform. Primary use of the truck will be as a tow rig of approx. 5000#'s, and I would like to increase my passing power at highway speeds when towing, once this little (I hope) problem is fixed.

gmctd
06-19-2007, 17:38
Welcome to the 'Page, Brad...........

The WG system is vacuum-controlled, using the wg solenoid.

At idle and 2000rpm vacuum at the pump should be 26"HG

Vacuum at the wg actuator should be 15"HG,as regulated by PCM.

Wg solenoid, plastic vacuum lines, and vacuum pump fail, in that order - solenoid connector may have frayed\broke\loose wiring, as it is in general area of fuel filter cannister, and is subject to damage when filter is replaced.

Check it all out, as the first preventive maintainence on your recent acquisition.

Fuel filter should be beige - brown or black is not good

Air filter should be beige - dirty is not good.

FYI - name your subject, do a search, and you'll instantly have more data than you can easily assimilate

Try it - you'll like it...............

BradField
06-27-2007, 02:35
Thank you very much for the info, changing fuel filter tomorrow, and will check out what you suggested.