PDA

View Full Version : WTB - block

coinball
06-20-2007, 07:38
Well I'm gearing up to put a new heart in the Tahoe, so first things first, looking for a decent used block. Preferably the 599 casting that everyone raves about, but I wouldn't mind a newer oil squirter block either.

Let me know what you've got laying around in your garage.

FYI - I'm now located in Raleigh, NC; but I am frequently driving back home to Hershey, PA, so I can pickup anything inbetween.

Thanks!

EDIT - If you have a crank/rods to go with I'll probably snag them as well...

coinball
07-03-2007, 08:29
ttt

still looking...

EWC
07-03-2007, 12:11
What are you after ? 6.2 or 6.5 ?

coinball
07-04-2007, 14:33
I believe the 599 casting I mentiond and the newer oil suqirter blocks are only available in 6.5 displacement?...but in short, I'm looking for a 6.5 block.

coinball
06-01-2008, 09:09
holy dead thread batman!

the search still continues...

rustyk
06-01-2008, 19:25
I still have the takeout from the engine swap in my motorhome, but I'm also around 500 miles from Raleigh.

It's a 599 block, will need cylinder honing (at least) as cylinders 5-8 have light scoring; it still has the crank and pistons in it, and it hasn't been checked for cracks. Also have the gasket set, trued heads, and a turbo that's been tested.

I'm tired of looking at it - PM me if you think the trip would be worthwhile, and I'll make a deal.

coinball
06-02-2008, 14:46
rustyk check your PM's

Robyn
06-04-2008, 07:43
The 599 block was used on real late 6.2 engines too.
The 6.2 was made for the HMMWV and this is the block that was used.
I had a 599 6.2 that was dated coded in 1994.

The 92 and later 6.2's used the 599 most likely.
The early 6.5's (92-94) and maybe early 95 used 599 blocks

The squirters came out in the 506 block series.
The early 506 blocks had large bolts at all 4 locations on the center main caps.
Later versions had a smaller bolt with a washer head at the two outside bolts on the center mains.

Another thing to remember when mixing and matching, the oil pump for a squirt block is different than for a standard non squirt block.

If you use an early pump on a later squirt block you very well may see oil pressure issues.

The pumps for the squirt blocks are a higher volume to allow for the extra loss due to the squirts.

When I rebuilt my 94 the GM parts man gave me the squirt pump by mistake and I used it on a non squirt block.

I did not realize this until after the rig was back on the road and I was looking things over and stumbled onto the mistake. (Part numbers)

It works fine but the gauge reads a lot higher than any I have seen since.

Sucker has plenty of oil for sure. Been about 30 K since the rebuild and the little creature seems happy. :)

Goos luck with your quest

Robyn

rustyk
06-04-2008, 21:39
rustyk check your PM's

I replied with more detail - haven't heard (but I guess you're on the road a lot...); OTOH, it seems like the 'Burb has about run you out of patience!