PDA

View Full Version : Sheared Starter Bolts!!

Shad
10-16-2003, 18:07
My Starter bolts loosened up and sheared off in the engine block.. Anyone else had this happen? It left me stranded upnorth 150 miles away so the chev garage is fixen it. I am driving a Dodge Stratus rental car til Mon. I miss my sub

mhagie
10-16-2003, 18:27
The word that I have recieved here on the DP is that it is more of a common occurance than we would like.
The remedy that I remember is to check the torque on the starter bolts now and then 2-3 times a year I think its 35' lb torque but not sure.
Also make sure the support bracket on front of starter is connected and tight.........Merle

DogDiesel
10-17-2003, 02:44
This is a common problem on HMMWVs, now I realize your truck is not one, but the issue is similar.

We in the Army find that if the bolts loosen up, it is cost effective to replace the bolts and use lock-tite and torque. The alternative failure and potential wire harness burn-up damage makes this good preventive maintenance.

When a bolt is properly torqued, it stretches the bolt. I have actually compared used bolts and new, and the length difference is visual.

I replace my bolts when I remove my starter on my truck. I haven't had this problem, since I learned my lesson.

Wayne

rjschoolcraft
10-17-2003, 04:14
I saw this happen on a 6.2 Suburban once. The bracket at the other end was not there, though.

britannic
10-17-2003, 07:26
As already stated, install new bolts every time the starter is removed (diesel engines take tons more torque to start than a gasser) and ensure that the front bracket is properly installed with correct torque & locktite on all bolts. It only takes a loose front bracket bolt/stud to start the main bolts loose and subsequent failure of related components.

I lost a starter ring because of a missing front bracket bolt when I first got my truck.

CareyWeber
10-17-2003, 08:06
I think drilling the bolt head and then using safety wire would help lots.

Carey

Shad
10-17-2003, 15:38
I called the dealer today and they removed the broken bolts and replaced them with new ones for around a hundred bucks. I think I got off cheap with labor and all, I owe them a thanks. I need to go back upnorth monday to pick it up. I'll keep a closer eye on them for now on. Thanks for all the tips, that what makes this DP great!!

kowsoc
10-18-2003, 06:53
I had broken bolt problems even after replacing with a new set of bolts. The new set only lasted one week. The problem was the front support bracket was not there....seems some people will change the starter and not put the bracket back as it is fairly tricky to install. I bought a bracket for $3 from GM and new bolts and have not had a problem since. Check to see if the bracket is there or you WILL have broken bolts.

Shad
10-19-2003, 01:32
Well I pick up the truck tomorro morning, I'll Have to see what they found. I don't recall seeing a front bracket. The only thing I saw was the starter and what looked like (2) starter bolts broken off. Where does this front bracket bolt to... How many bolts? I just want to get it home then I can putz with her.

britannic
10-19-2003, 05:16
Originally posted by Shad:
Well I pick up the truck tomorro morning, I'll Have to see what they found. I don't recall seeing a front bracket. The only thing I saw was the starter and what looked like (2) starter bolts broken off. Where does this front bracket bolt to... How many bolts? I just want to get it home then I can putz with her. The front bracket bolts to the engine block and to a stud on the front of the starter. Without it, the high torque from the starter will twist the holding bolts until they break. If the bolts don't shear (as they did in my case), then the starter will twist enough that the pinion (which is harder than the ring gear) will start cold chiseling ring gear teeth off, until you get a loud grinding bark sound and no cranking.

The bracket is a $3.00 part, so it's a no brainer :D !!

Shad
10-20-2003, 16:43
You guys were right the front starter bracket was missing! I went to pick up the sub this morning and had the parts guy look up the starter brackets and sure enough my truck was back on the rack getting a new front bracket. They were ready to send me out the door with only (2) new starter bolts installed however I insisted the fix it correctly. I will be checking the torque when I do my oil changes. Thanks