PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try this? Or is it snake oil?

hayhauler69
06-21-2007, 17:02
http://www.ca40g.com/home.php?xid=fc9de7002a9a670375afd047d59a9db1
Just curious.
Buzz

rameye
06-21-2007, 17:28
Might work as good as anything found in Walmart or Autozone...

Had to laugh at the Butte study...not too many variables there!

Try it let us know...I use Power Service normally..., but right now I'm trying the Lucas additive.

hayhauler69
06-21-2007, 19:26
The bottle will be here Monday...............We'll see.
I get 17MPG now. Truck's stock except for the air filter and a FSD cooler
Should get my 40HP chip in a week or so. I'll be able to go through a tank with the additive before I get the chip in. Then I'll see what happens to the mileage.
Buzz
So Rameye, how come so many IP pumps?

94 at Large
06-21-2007, 19:45
Was using the fuel additive by Lucas but have had some noticeable mpg improvements with a combo of 8oz Power Service and 8oz 2-stroke oil at each fill-up. Was getting around 16.5 mpg w/Lucas but last fill got me 18.7 mpg. Mostly back roads and thru towns varying the speed between 35 to 55 mph. I use Lucas in the gassers and it seems I get the most improvement with highway driving and not so much so around town.

As I am an additive junkie :D I will be awaiting the results of the "new stuff".

rameye
06-22-2007, 05:30
First IP was was a typical failure...not the latest upgrade... replaced with latest and greatest..

After that I had a failure of the solenoid driver deep within the pump...just one month outta warranty

Ran crappy when cold..posted codes...ran nice when warm...NG

Had that rebuilt (seeing it was new) did the install, truck would not start for nothing.

Sent it back.. to pump builder..which they graciously went thru the pump again gratas...(Gomers/US Diesel Parts..very good folks...very helpful)

Got it back, still wouldnt fire off....long story short, injectors were blocked as crap from the injector lines clogged them up (injectors were 1 y/o)

Thats the short version....I'm really good at changing pumps :)

hayhauler69
06-22-2007, 06:14
Thanks for the insight rameye,
Yeah, we get good at things that are repititive:)
I'm sure glad this forum is here. I've been a gasser for my whole life and this diesel stuff is new to me. Without the knowledge base here and the willingness to share, I'd still be scratiching my head.

gmctd
06-22-2007, 06:38
At least, they didn't mention acetone - the sulfonated stuff seems contradictory to conforming to current ULSD fuel regulations, tho, where we're even adding ashless motor oils to the fuel to conform.

Any hydrocarbon chemists onboard?

hayhauler69
06-22-2007, 09:18
Was wondering about buildup on pistons.
But I was turned on by a 'reliable source'
How much money he's making out of the deal I don't know.

j_k_auto
07-19-2007, 19:51
Is there an update on this yet?

hayhauler69
07-20-2007, 09:13
Hi,
Sorry I've been gone for a while..........................To do list at home was getting long :rolleyes:
Been using this additive for several fill ups now and have maybe increased mileage by one mile per gallon. I also installed the 40HP chip and the fuel mileage didn't increase, but didn't decrease either.
Did a 250 mile trip, mostly highway and darn near got 20MPG. Was quite happy with that. Went up I-5 through Seattle to Mt. Vernon and over to Whidbey Island, took the ferry from Keystone to Port Townsend on the Peninsula and back home. Nice trip except for Everett, constant log jam with the traffic.

JohnC
07-20-2007, 13:58
I tried for years with my '95. I tried everything I could get my hands on. (OK, not everything...) My final decision was that 20mpg was the absolute ceiling for a '95 4x4 automatic. Any time I got over 19 I was thrilled...

hayhauler69
07-21-2007, 05:45
Yep, that's about right John.
I try to keep the beast at 2000RPM on the freeway (but it's hard) the thing want's to go. But at that RPM I think the power band is at it's prime.

sturgeon-phish
07-23-2007, 08:15
Yep, that's about right John.
I try to keep the beast at 2000RPM on the freeway (but it's hard) the thing want's to go. But at that RPM I think the power band is at it's prime.
I get my best mileage at 1800 RPM, about 56 MPH.
Jim

hayhauler69
07-25-2007, 08:24
Well this is nice................Drove truck to work and back up and down the interstate and pushed harder than normal. 65/75 MPH. 2200+ RPM and guess what?! I got 20MPG anyways! So maybe this additive does do the truck justice. I haven't gone through half the bottle yet. I put close to500/600 miles a week:( on my red wagon.