PDA

View Full Version : Additional fuel filter/water seperator

Shikaroka
06-22-2007, 08:32
I am looking at installing an additional filter before the lift pump, mounted to the frame.
Most people see this as a good idea, right?
I have been looking at the Racor products. But, I'm not sure which one would be the best choice. Of you guys that use these, what's a good filter? And, where do you have yours mounted?

Shikaroka
06-22-2007, 08:55
Is this a good one?

Ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racor-120-Series-spin-on-filter-brand-new-in-the-box_W0QQitemZ300122452644QQihZ020QQcategoryZ31286Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

tommac95
06-24-2007, 20:10
Shika-
That's a nice job.
If you live in Alaska away from the coast , get one with an integrated fuel heater.
If you want to get real technical , read up on the optimal dimension of folter mesh.
The transparent bowl saves having to drain looking for water/sediment.

Shikaroka
06-25-2007, 06:51
Cool, thanks.
I don't live in Alaska, but I may run some WVO someday. The heated one might be a good idea.

rjwest
06-28-2007, 14:24
An additional LP will drop Fuel pressure under high power,

I installed a second LP and controlled it with a dash switch for
High power conditions... ( drop in fuel pressure )

Used a perma cool filter/water sererator, worked good , but cold temps were not an issue.

Robyn
06-28-2007, 20:49
The Racor 120A 15GPH filter is a nice unit
I just oredered on for my dually. I developed a leak in the stock unit and this is not the first one of those to fail me.
I have had it with that little beast all stuck down in the hole.
They are a mess to change the filter and bleed and if they leak they are a nasty little bugger to get the hoses and stuff loose.

The racor will get rid of the drain hose and if mounted up on the left front of the engine bay by the ABS unit will be easy to peek at the bowl every time you pull the dip stick.

I check the oil every time I fill the fuel tank so its no biggy.
Im gonna toss the heater too as here in Oregon the coldest I have ever seen on the west side is about 5 above in recent years.
Stillbe fine even without a heater.
Dump in a little kerosene or some JP8 to thin it if I have to go into cold country

Shikaroka
06-29-2007, 06:18
An additional LP will drop Fuel pressure under high power,

I installed a second LP and controlled it with a dash switch for
High power conditions... ( drop in fuel pressure )

I'm not sure I understand.
LP = lift pump, right?

So, you added an additional pump? Why would that drop pressure?

Robyn
06-29-2007, 06:59
I believe that should be that a second filter will cuase the drop in pressure under high load.

Every filter system will see some drop across the media (Filter)
The finer the micron rating the more drop you will see.
Adding the second pump would possibly help during max power to keep the volume of fuel high.

A pump with a slightly higher output pressure might be better but then again that might open a different can of worms.

The DS4 was designed to operate with fuel dilivery within certain perameters. Too little and the engine runs out of fuel and too much pressure ??????????? I dont know.

I would not double up on the filter but instead use a Racor 2 micron that is rated at 15 GPH 15 gallons per hour flow is more than enough to fule a 6.5 :eek:

If not your mileage is horrible :rolleyes:

If you really feel the need to have two filters you could use a 10 or even a 30 micron prefilter to sort out the clods and then the 2 micron final.

The GM filter I beleive is a 5 micron.
The thing I dont like about the GM filter is that you cant see whats in the thing until you yank it out.

The little Racor has a water drain, air bleed and of course the see though bowl.

The filter media is available in 2-10-30 micron so you can choose what you need.

IMHO unless you are getting fuel of very questionable quality one filter should be adequate to keep the little 6.5 quite happy.

Hope this helps answer the issue

Robyn

Shikaroka
06-29-2007, 07:39
Thanks for the advice and tips Robyn.
I have heard that is better to have the filter before the LP, for several reasons. Do you not agree?

rjwest
06-29-2007, 13:22
shikra: Correct, My error, Second Fuel filter , not Lift pump
will cause additional fuel pressure drop, The second LP ( Lift Pump )
when not operating causes very little fuel pressure drop.

My experience; Also the Additional Fuel Filter/Water seperator
trapped water which the OEM filter did not catch