PDA

View Full Version : Injectables

Shikaroka
06-22-2007, 08:43
Anyone read the article in June's "Diesel Power"?

I am looking into adding an injection system (Nitrous, Propane, Water/Methanol).

I have pretty much ruled out Nitrous, because of the expense and I'm not looking for all out power.

I mainly use my Suburban as a daily-driver, grocery getter, and occasionaly car hauler.
I would like to get a little more (reliable) power, better efficiency (MPG), and minimal added strain to my old motor.

I like the Water/Methanol systems, because they are cheap and are similar to adding an intercooler. You can add more boost while keeping the EGTs in check.

I also like the Propane system, because they are pretty cheap and easy to fill as well. They help make a complete burn, which gives you more power and certainly helps get more miles out of the same about of fuel.

In a pickup, you can mount the Propane tank in the bed. But, I drive a Suburban. I don't like the idea of mounting the tank in the back (inside). Is it possible to mount one down on the frame? Would that be safe?

Do any of you guys have either of these systems?
How well do they work with the 6.5TD?
Am I wasting my time here?

Please forgive my long post. Thanks for reading it!

Craig M
06-22-2007, 17:29
I have been playing with the idea of propane in my 80's 3/4 ton truck. I do not like the propane tank in the bed because I haul various things. A punctured tank and less available bed space bother me. I looked at underneath mounting of a tank. One reasonable spot was between the frame and the outside of the cab. This location is long, but kinda small. For a round tank can only get about 8 or 9 inch diameter tank in there. One of the propane injection companies sells a small diameter tank (about 48" long if I recall), but its price is almost $500.00!!! I am still looking, but the difference in cost between propane and diesel do not justify $500 from what I have been reading.

Shikaroka
06-25-2007, 06:49
Yeh, I plan on doing some measuring to see what I can fit and where.