PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin as a pump lubricant

cutlas
06-22-2007, 09:10
I was reading a post at VWDieselParts.com by a person named Hagar. He is adding paraffin wax to diesel, which is soluble in diesel and a great lubricant for the pump. The side benefit for the vw injection pump is increased viscosity, which is reduced with the new ULSD. The benefit of the increased viscosity for their pumps is to counteract the increased clearances with the advance piston in the older mechanical injection pumps. This is allowing the older VW pumps to get back some of the fuel mileage lost from pump wear and also a smoother running engine. As the 93

gmctd
06-22-2007, 15:27
Diesel fuel has paraffins in it, naturally - that's the stuff that solidifies in winter temps - he'd be better off adding ashless 2-stroke motor oil, which is formulated for combustion chamber service, and is a higher-pressure lubricant than paraffin

cutlas
06-22-2007, 21:29
I think his idea was this is naturally in diesel and adding more would increase viscosity and help the advance piston travel. I do use Power service and ashless 2 stroke oil mixed in my truck though. Just thought this was interesting.

JFerg65
06-23-2007, 06:49
Running the 2 cycle makes a lot of sense from the lubricity end. Now here is the question, What kind of ratio per tank or gallon and how does one come up with and or justify it? Is there a magic ratio, or just people ball parking?? I would like to start running this as an added additive, but would like a little bit more knowledge / science behind the process before I proceed.

Thanks

Idle_Chatter
06-23-2007, 07:13
People are mostly ball-parking on the 2-cycle ratio. I started out "heavy" at 128:1 (one ounce 2-stroke to every gallon of fuel) but have recently cut back to 256:1 (1/2 ounce per gallon) and it still seems fine. I do continue to add FPPF Total Power additive to my fuel at 1280:1 (one ounce per 10 gallons), but I've done that in every drop of fuel added to my truck since day one.

There is an independent fuel additive study underway that will test most commerical additives in ultra low sulfur diesel and 2-stroke is supposed to be included at 200:1, so there just may be some "scientific" analysis of its effectiveness (or lack thereof) soon.

Idle_Chatter
06-23-2007, 07:23
I'm sure that paraffin will dissolve in diesel, but how do you measure the amount added and what about cloud point? I guess you could pre-dissolve a known weight of wax into a known volume of diesel and then treat your fuel by calculating the dilution. But you could very easily raise your fuel's cloud point to something like 50 or 60 degrees and wind up waxing your fuel filter and stalling out. If you've ever experienced waxup and the problems with getting running again in cold weather, you don't want to induce it by adding paraffin in warm weather and invite it in even a little drop in temperate weather (I live in high desert - even if it's 85 degrees in a Summer afternoon it can be 35 or 40 degrees prior to sunup).

gmctd
06-23-2007, 08:34
There's also the theory that a quart of 20wt oil has more BTU content than a quart of Desel fuel, so adding the 2-stroke oil should improve fuel mileage, tho maybe not fuel economy

JFerg65
06-23-2007, 09:32
I think I'm going to stay away from the paraffin as an additive. I'm a little concerned about getting the candle wick stuck in the block somewhere???:)

My luck it would find it's way to my turbo and get all caught up in the vanes!!:)

JeepSJ
06-23-2007, 10:00
I'm also running 2-cycle oil. In experimenting, I have come up with 1/2oz per gallon as a mix that works well for me. I didn't see any difference between 1oz/gal vs 1/2oz/gal, but I did see a difference between 1/4oz and 1/2oz, so I'm staying with that.

JFerg65
06-23-2007, 11:08
When you say you saw a difference, what exactly were you seeing between the 1/4 to 1/2 oz per gal difference? Are you running traditional 2 cyle or the synthetic? I'm assuming non synthetic.

gmctd
06-23-2007, 18:11
So far, the consensus seems to be that someone should explain to Hagar the horrible consequences of adding paraffin to ULSD...........

Robyn
06-24-2007, 09:31
Hmm I have always wondered where the term "Turn up the wick" came from when mentioned in the context of the internal combustion engine.

Well, now we know.. :D :D :D

JeepSJ
06-24-2007, 10:54
When you say you saw a difference, what exactly were you seeing between the 1/4 to 1/2 oz per gal difference? Are you running traditional 2 cyle or the synthetic? I'm assuming non synthetic.

Non-synth. With the 1/4 it didn't feel any different than running none. WIth the 1/2 it is quieter and it just feels smoother.

JFerg65
06-24-2007, 11:53
Thanks for the clarification between the 1/4 - 1/2 ratio. I'm getting ready to fill up here in the next week or so and will go ahead and mix the 1/2 oz per gallon along with my usual additive I've been running.