PDA

View Full Version : Headlight switch

Crooked Hole
06-23-2007, 17:25
Not sure if this is only on canadian trucks or not, but my new 2007 classic 2500hd will not let me turn off the headlights. The switch stays on the auto position only, you can turn it past this position but when you let go it returns to the auto mode. Just wondering if this can be changed or if it is somekind of new safety crap, like we do not know when to turn on our lights. I work out of my truck and it idles at night quite often and do not like the headlights on all the time. Any info would be great. Love the sight and has been very usefull for info, thanks... Scott

a5150nut
06-23-2007, 20:24
Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy and utilize the information here.

I have a 2005 Grand Prix with auto headlight switch. It allows me to turn off the head lights but the dash display reads "Head lights suggested". Doesn't Canada require lites on all the time?

Maybe for your application an alternate off/on switch could be installed. Maybe double pole double throw and add an idiot light so not to forget to turn the lights back on.

DmaxMaverick
06-23-2007, 20:34
This issue goes all the way back to the beginning of auto headlamps. Canada has some law or regulation requiring you can not defeat them. It must have something to do with the relay or the BCM, because the switches I've seen are the same. There is also only one listing for the part, and no specification for Canada.

Crooked Hole
06-24-2007, 12:20
Thanks for the input guys. Will see if I can wire some sort of switch.

HH
06-24-2007, 18:28
I thought you could set the parking brake one click and the DTRL turn off.

DmaxMaverick
06-24-2007, 22:11
I thought you could set the parking brake one click and the DTRL turn off.

You can, but.......
The I/P brake warning lamp will illuminate, and the E-brake warning chime will come on when you drive.

Chris_S
06-25-2007, 10:53
Mine 2007 Classic is the same way. You can turn off the DRL once it's started by turning it to the off position (It will go back to the Auto position automatically), the DRL stay off until you turn off the ignition. When you start the truck again the DRL come back on unless you repeat the above again.

Crooked Hole
06-25-2007, 10:56
The DTRL are seperate from the headlights and go off when vehicle is in park.
It's the headlights that come on with the running lights when it gets dark and cannot be shut off, it's not really that big A deal just can't understand why there is an off position on the switch that does not work. My wifes 2004 Avalanche is the same way.