PDA

View Full Version : Ses

Kirkes
06-24-2007, 11:06
After I removed the juice I took the shop because of a SES problem. They ran the codes & told me the codes were because of a performance enhancing device that was removed from the truck before it was brought in to them. Of course I denied any knowledge of such device. So they charged me $105.00 for diagnostic & sent me on my way. When I got in my truck started it up the SES light was on. They checked the codes turned out to be a glow plug $17.00. How could they say it was because of a performance enhancing device if like everybody says they are not supposed to be able to tell?

DmaxMaverick
06-24-2007, 11:38
It's likely the tech is savvy, and suspected tampering at the connector. Not uncommon, but it wasn't anything "inside" the PCM. Also, if you have gages or any other aftermarket stuff normally used by folks that do use performance programs, they make the assumtion.

What were the codes? Was it only the P0380 (glow plug)?

Duramaster
06-24-2007, 11:49
Check your "PRIVATE" messages kirkes. ;) I have a cool document to e-mail you. It has a lot of neat pictures of DMAX's that have been pushed to their limits by the aftermarket power products. Ohhhhhhh the carnage!! I would post here publicly, but the photos never seem to paste!

Kirkes
06-24-2007, 12:08
It's likely the tech is savvy, and suspected tampering at the connector. Not uncommon, but it wasn't anything "inside" the PCM. Also, if you have gages or any other aftermarket stuff normally used by folks that do use performance programs, they make the assumtion.

What were the codes? Was it only the P0380 (glow plug)?They didnt give me any of the codes. I was already on the road when I noticed or I would have ask for them.
Thanks

DmaxMaverick
06-24-2007, 12:22
If they charged you $105 for a diagnosis, they are obligated to note the DTC's on the work order. Otherwise, what did you pay for?

Kirkes
06-24-2007, 12:39
Check your "PRIVATE" messages kirkes. ;) I have a cool document to e-mail you. It has a lot of neat pictures of DMAX's that have been pushed to their limits by the aftermarket power products. Ohhhhhhh the carnage!! I would post here publicly, but the photos never seem to paste!Man after reading all of that maybe it's not such a good idea to run these things. But after picking it up from the dealer and getting on the freeway with out it I think I will leave it on.
Thanks for all the input i'm going to save it
Kirkster

Kirkes
06-25-2007, 18:36
If they charged you $105 for a diagnosis, they are obligated to note the DTC's on the work order. Otherwise, what did you pay for?
Called the shop today & this is what the guy told me.
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Ok here

Duramaster
06-25-2007, 22:28
Here is the description of the P0101

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0101
Circuit Description
The mass air flow (MAF) sensor is an air flow meter that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The engine control module (ECM) uses the MAF sensor voltage signal in order to provide the correct fuel delivery for a reduction in emissions. The ECM uses the MAF sensor signal in order to control fuel delivery until a calibrated amount of engine air flow is attained. The MAF sensor has an ignition 1 voltage circuit, a signal circuit and a low reference circuit. The MAF sensor produces an output voltage based on inlet air flow through the air induction system. This output voltage will display on the scan tool as a grams per second (g/s) value. The ECM will calculate a predicted MAF value. The ECM compares the actual MAF sensor voltage signal to the predicted MAF value. This comparison will determine if the signal is stuck, or is too low or too high for a given operating condition. DTC P0101 will set if the actual MAF sensor voltage signal is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF value.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Kirkes
06-26-2007, 17:06
Thanks for the info. I didnt see anything about performance addon's so I guess he was reaching when he told me I had one.
Thanks
Kirkster

JeepSJ
06-26-2007, 22:15
There is one way that they may be able to tell. On my F*RD gasser that is running an Edge, if I unplug the Edge it resets the diagnostic self test information in the computer. When I plug my ODBII scanner in, it reports that the systems are still in test mode. It takes a couple start-warm up to closed loop-shutdown cycles for all of the self tests to complete.