PDA

View Full Version : Cold starts lb7 vs lly

Jarmstrong
06-24-2007, 14:16
Is there any difference? I read how the LLy had some updates to improve cold wx performance/ starting but can you notice any difference in the real world? I'm talking 0 F and below when they can't be plugged in
thanks

mark45678
06-25-2007, 07:37
Is there any difference? I read how the LLy had some updates to improve cold wx performance/ starting but can you notice any difference in the real world? I'm talking 0 F and below when they can't be plugged in
thanks

glow plug cycle times on the LLY motor is about 1/2 the time of the LB7 motor. With good batterys all duramax trucks will start at -20F . The newer the truck the faster the glow plugs cycle off , my LBZ truck on a zero * day cycles off in less then 2 seconds !

Buck
06-26-2007, 02:25
I prefer my LLY over my old LB7. The LB7 seems "cold blooded" compared to the LLY. Like Mark said ALL Duramax trucks will start in very cold weather, you can't go wrong with any motor variation. I work the night shift and do not have a place to plug my truck in. I have started both trucks at -20 to -25*. I have noticed that starting is less harsh when using synthetic 5w-40 motor oil. I use it year round;)

Rabbler
07-13-2007, 23:37
LLY and later engines have a very fast heating Glowplug (1000F in under 3 seconds)
It should also have a separate glow plug controller that monitors and controls each plug individually. Late LLY and LBZ engines also have a more efficient Grid style intake air heater. Much better for cold starts but sorry you cant retrofit these Gplugs in an older LB7 even though they look very similar.