PDA

View Full Version : Swapping to synthetic trans fluid ?????

Beedee
06-24-2007, 14:32
Hi Guys
I posted on the 6.5 forum but never got any replies back, so thought that i would try here and the towing forum.
I have a 98 with a 6.5, auto. I bought some TranSyn to swap the trans oil out to. A friend of mine, who worked in a shop that service allison tranys on busses, ect warned me off of it saying that my tranny would start to leak. I only have 180,000 km on the truck.
Any one have any experiance with this or any thoughts.
I just bought a Arctic Fox 22 GQ, truck tows it well, It is time to change the tranny oil again, and i want to put the TranSyn in, but am a little leary about springing a leak or two.
Thanks for any help
Brian

JFerg65
06-24-2007, 18:53
I've heard similar warnings from a friend who has quite a bit of experience int eh engine / mechanical filed. I'm still debating. A response on anthother thread indicated the syn had a tendency to "find" leaks but then responded, just to fix them. I do not really wish to go down this path at this point.

DmaxMaverick
06-24-2007, 21:27
True about the synthetic oils. They won't cause leaks, but the detergent abilities of them can help you find them. The correct advice is to fix the leaks. It's been my experience that leaks are rare, but can happen. Usually, the leaks will appear, then disappear. The fluid will clean things up, leak a while, then condition the seals so they don't leak. It depends on your level of patients and determination.

Beedee
06-24-2007, 21:48
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
It's kinda what I've always heard in the past. Synthetic will cause old trannys to leak, but I don't know of anyone who has done it first hand, just heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend if you know what I mean.
I have the oil, paid and arm and a leg for it, so it is going in. I think that the benefits of using the synthetic far out weights the risk of a leak.
If if have a leakage problem, well, i'll just have to deal with it.
Thanks again
Brian ;)

DA BIG ONE
06-25-2007, 10:07
I've switched to syn @ 100k + on many vehicles never any ill effects. I use syn for everything.

I run a NP246 autotrac w/synthetic when GM calls for something else. The engineers @ NP as well as a major rebuilder and distributer of NP suggest syn in the NP246, go figure..............

1999GMC
06-25-2007, 17:47
just switched to a deep pan and sythetic. I went with the Dexron VI. I have only put about 200 miles on it the since I did it.